Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Pictures CEO hates the Internet

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Sony Pictures CEO hates the Internet
    May 16, 2009 4:53 PM PDT

"I [Dave Rosenberg] wrote last week about Sony CEO Howard Stringer's comments suggesting Sony could have beaten Apple in digital music if only the had embraced open technology. While technology certainly could play a role in Sony's success, it's clear that the company needs a whole new way of thinking.

At a breakfast Thursday cohosted by the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University and The New Yorker, Sony Pictures Entertainment CEO Michael Lynton told the audience his not-so-inner thoughts about the Internet.
    "I'm a guy who doesn't see anything good having
    come from the Internet...(The Internet) created this notion that anyone
    can have whatever they want at any given time. It's as if the stores on
    Madison Avenue were open 24 hours a day. They feel entitled. They say,
    'Give it to me now,' and if you don't give it to them for free, they'll
    steal it."
    According to WWD.com Lynton tried out another simile. Referring to the Obama administration's goal to spread broadband access without, he said,
    regulating piracy, Lynton made a comparison with building highway systems without speed limits or driver's licenses. "We do need rules of the road," he said.

Rules of the road are one thing, but these type of short-sighted, borderline absurd comments suggest a more systemic problem. Instead of embracing new technologies and delivery methods, Sony chooses to stick to the old, now failing ways, as evidenced by the company's recent $1 billion loss.

With leadership like this, Sony only has itself to blame.
    "

Source: C|NET News.com
    Typical. There seems to be some kind of economic conservatism brewing about. Businesses who refuse to change in a growing and evolving market and thus fail to meet the consumer's expectations. Sounds like some of the American car dealerships who have failed to meet demands of efficiency and reliability especially compared to foreign car makers.

This is certainly the WRONG business model to follow and they're probably going to ask "why?" when they see their profits decline (perhaps even bankruptcy - who imagined GM to really make such a fall from grace?).

This all appears to be about control of the markets. Basic economics 101: Supply & Demand. Change or die. No bailout for you!
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 05-17-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Format Corrections.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Poster
    Unfortunately that's just the way it will be.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    harshytkage's Avatar Tarders BEWARE! BT Rep: +2
    Sony is as f@cked up as it's ideals...really...face the truth old man!
    Spoiler: Show

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Sony has had an AMAZING amount of CONTROL over our entertainment "choices" for a very long time. The internet challenges that control like nothing before. We get to decide what we want, when we want it, and how much we are willing, or not, to pay for it.

Yes, we DO get to make demands. We have "accepted" the other option of having over-priced, limited choices, and availability fed to us for FAR too long!

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    Sony,well, they own copyrights to most of the films people see, and just think about the revenue these films generate for them (Theaters + DVD Sales). Internet is perhaps the only source, which allows people less privileged (in economic and social terms as well) to enjoy the creative work of directors and the others as well.
    Economic growth of Sony seems to be string enough (http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/fina...onyAR08-02.pdf)
    Anyway, they have got to learn to live with it. Internet cannot be subjected to strict monitoring. It IS and will likely stay FREE forever.(If ISPs join them against piracy as well, i dont really see their customers staying with their high end plans. It will hurt a larger section than just Sony corp or other business establishments. Piracy does result in free publicity )

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    rikenji's Avatar Member
    From what it looks like. He is just a senile old man who is refusing to accept the future and deal with it. He believes the way he markets things should stay the same.
    Unfortunately he is wrong.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    djerholler69's Avatar Love Bytes! BT Rep: +3
    internet is part of present and future technology and going against the flow of advancement would only make Sony lose market share. Stringer had better rethink its strategy, because consumers go for anything that would improve the way the live, and if Sony doesnt make it, someone else will...

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    My guess is that most of the internet hates Michael Lynton, so where's the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by rikenji View Post
    From what it looks like. He is just a senile old man who is refusing to accept the future and deal with it. He believes the way he markets things should stay the same.
    Unfortunately he is wrong.
    I assume you mean "Fortunately he is wrong."
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    a comparison with building highway systems without speed limits or driver's licenses. "We do need rules of the road,"
    to me ...somehow he is right...
    ...We always do need rules...

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by jowell View Post
    a comparison with building highway systems without speed limits or driver's licenses. "We do need rules of the road,"
    to me ...somehow he is right...
    ...We always do need rules...
    Yes, but remember that his rule would say that you can go as fast as you like as long as you pay him enough money - it would have nothing to do with road safety.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast