Thread: Cant connect to Usenet servers

Hi.

I know the details are correct, I am on news demon and using newsleecher, at home it connects fine but here in student accommodation it does not connect on any ports, SSL or normal, any ideas? Any way around it?

Thanks
    Will.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Hmm.. Do a traceroute to the newsdemon server you're trying to connect to. If you don't know how, go into command prompt (start>run>cmd) and type tracert serveraddress. Ping it too and see if you get a response.

On the tracert see if it reaches the destination, or post it here and i'll look at it. Also, does NewsLeecher have any sort of log? If there is, check it
    Last edited by torrentguy; 10-01-2008 at 03:47 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    This is what I get:

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Okay, you're route is fine and it connects to the destination. When your in NewsLeecher, click the News :: Log tab, tell me what it says there when you try to connect. Try all these ports:
    europe.newsdemon.com port(s): 119, 443, 8080
    europe-ssl.newsdemon.com * (THIS IS 256-BIT ENCRYPTED) port(s): 443, 563, and 8080

If none of those work try news.newsdemon.com on port 80 because if they are blocking most ports then that will still work, no one blocks port 80 (its used for web traffic). If all that fails my guess is its NewsLeecher, in which case try Alt.Binz (http://altbinz.net). If you have a firewall disable it and try again.
    Last edited by torrentguy; 10-01-2008 at 07:29 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    10/2/2008 3:43:29 PM Unable to connect / authenticate server: europe-ssl.newsdemon.com @ europe-ssl.newsdemon.com (Unable to connect (Error: 10060 - "Connection timed out").).

europe-ssl.newsdemon.com

Thats what I get.

With news.newsdemon.com on port 80 all that happens is:

10/2/2008 3:44:58 PM Unable to authenticate at server: news.newsdemon.com (502 news.newsdemon.com: Access denied to your node - [email protected]).

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by willhub View Post
    10/2/2008 3:43:29 PM Unable to connect / authenticate server: europe-ssl.newsdemon.com @ europe-ssl.newsdemon.com (Unable to connect (Error: 10060 - "Connection timed out").).

europe-ssl.newsdemon.com

Thats what I get.

10/2/2008 3:44:58 PM Unable to authenticate at server: news.newsdemon.com (502 news.newsdemon.com: Access denied to your node - [email protected]).
    Try AltBinz with the europe and europe ssl server. Also the error message you got from news.newsdemon.com is a problem their end I think. I used to be with them ages ago and had that problem, pretty sure I emailed them and it was sorted.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by torrentguy View Post

europe-ssl.newsdemon.com

Thats what I get.

Try AltBinz with the europe and europe ssl server. Also the error message you got from news.newsdemon.com is a problem their end I think. I used to be with them ages ago and had that problem, pretty sure I emailed them and it was sorted.
    Even with AltBinz it wont connect

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Email NewsDemon with the error message you had (access denied to node) and see what they say, think its their end. Also have tried the normal europe server? the non ssl one. If SSL dont work on your PC try installing openssl from http://www.shininglightpro.com/produ...32OpenSSL.html

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Email NewsDemon with the error message you had (access denied to node) and see what they say, think its their end. Also have tried the normal europe server? the non ssl one. If SSL dont work on your PC try installing openssl from http://www.shininglightpro.com/produ...32OpenSSL.html
    I dont get it, if I took this PC right home now it would work.

Currently in Manchester and its Manchester Uni's internet, you have no router, just ethernet cable plugged into wall.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    I dont get it, if I took this PC right home now it would work.

Currently in Manchester and its Manchester Uni's internet, you have no router, just ethernet cable plugged into wall.
    Only thing I can say is to email NewsDemon support with the error message and see what they say. You can connect to news.newsdemon.com but it gives you that error, I don't know how to fix that but support could probably help.