Thread: hd dvds ..burners/hdtv/hd dvd player?

analyzer.'s Avatar Member BT Rep: +1
    I have a HDTV .. a regular DVD player, and Regular DVD-r's.

If I burn a hd video onto a regular dvd and have component hookups in my dvd player .. will it play in HD?

or do I need the HD dvds.. and/or special dvd player?

are there special burners for HD dvds? or do any dual layered burners work for burning HD dvds?

if I have a video card on my pc with DIV out.. and my TV only has HDMI.. and I buy a dvi to hdmi converter.. will I lose any quality?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by analyzer. View Post
    I have a HDTV .. a regular DVD player, and Regular DVD-r's.

If I burn a hd video onto a regular dvd and have component hookups in my dvd player .. will it play in HD?

No. You need a upconverting DVD player. The Philips DVP5960 has a low cost, play Divx/Xvid, and has a USB port. The are much better more expensive ones from Oppo Digital.

are there special burners for HD dvds? or do any dual layered burners work for burning HD dvds?

Burners are quite expensive right now. Last I checked, burners were 3 grand.
    It seems the protection had been hacked on HD-DVDs and the inexpensive way to play ripped movies is with a computer hooked to the TV.

if I have a video card on my pc with DIV out.. and my TV only has HDMI.. and I buy a dvi to hdmi converter.. will I lose any quality?
    No you shouldn't. You can buy a DVI to HDMI cord from monoprice.com for an absolute shit price.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    analyzer.'s Avatar Member BT Rep: +1
    so if I hook my computer up with the dvi to hdmi cord.. I would be able to play downloaded hd videos?

..do I need to do anything special? ..use a special player or ?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by analyzer. View Post
    so if I hook my computer up with the dvi to hdmi cord.. I would be able to play downloaded hd videos?

..do I need to do anything special? ..use a special player or ?
    I personally have no idea how to play ripped HD-DVD movies (or rip them in the first place).

I do know there is HD content in other formats besides HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    You can play the video files in 480p but not high def. (ie, 720p or 1080i), you need a upconverting DVD player or a modded Xbox for HD upconversion, also you need a component or HDMI cable for the Xbox or upconverting DVD player (Xbox only supports component, obviously).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    hooking up with DVI to VGA will give u a nice picture for HD stuff. thats if ur HDTV has a VGA which most likely it will.

give that a try play a few HD trailers or films if u got any and see what u think
    i thort that looked very impressive and didnt bother with any DVI to HDMI cables.

btw on price for cables dont be fooled into getting $50 cables cheap cables do the job fine. the signel eather gets to the tv or it doesnt with this kind of thing its not like analog where it goes fuzzy nd shit if it fails to get a good signel.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    nero is the best

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeco View Post
    btw on price for cables dont be fooled into getting $50 cables cheap cables do the job fine. the signel eather gets to the tv or it doesnt with this kind of thing its not like analog where it goes fuzzy nd shit if it fails to get a good signel.
    Lol, don't buy Monster Cables! Seriously, don't do it. They are wayyyy overpriced.