Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Private Trackers: Are They Risky ?

satriani77's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    After HDBits.org and Bit-HDTV databases were stolen, i'm thinking about general security on private trackers...because i don't wanna change all my passwords each week

According to you, is it possible that all private trackers are hacked easily ?

Which one are reliable, with a staff that has nothing "more interesting to do"...

Thanks

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I think those sites are rather noobish. Most large, and well thought after sites will be difficult to hack.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    They are all risky. no need to chage your password each week just use a different one for each tracker, or use a program that keeps track of them for you (not as safe). But never ever ever use the same password end of story.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    I despise trading BT Rep: +1
    Just don't use crap sites... like RTS, HDBits, and Bit-HDTV... and if you have to make sure you have different P/Ws everywhere.

Though you should do that anyway.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Most browsers will auto store your passwords, and firefox will even show your password for each site you use one.

You should use a unique password for each site regardless, because as a member, you have no idea how your password is stored. If a site admin say that passwords are hashed, what proof do you have?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    WHRST's Avatar immortalis BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    They are all risky. no need to chage your password each week just use a different one for each tracker, or use a program that keeps track of them for you (not as safe). But never ever ever use the same password end of story.
    yup i do use random pass on all sites

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    SpiderPig's Avatar The Clams BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Quote Originally Posted by rapesauce10 View Post
    Just don't use crap sites... like RTS, HDBits, and Bit-HDTV... and if you have to make sure you have different P/Ws everywhere.

Who are u, sistah?

I'd like some rape sauce on my chilli fries and my bitches, please
    No Whining

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderPig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rapesauce10 View Post

Who are u, sistah?

I'd like some rape sauce on my chilli fries and my bitches, please

can i have some of what you're smoking please?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    There will always be a few members of a tracker who will face consequences because of the site's security issues. In the BiT-HDTV forums for example I read about someone loosing access to an oink account.

Every single step you take on the internet is a risk for you, the very first is connecting to it. Of course you can (and should) take precautions so you won't fall prey to those people who use security leaks for their own enrichment but they can only do that if they have enough data to work with. The safest way to use multiple trackers are unique usernames, unique passwords AND unique mail addresses. The first two are easy to do if somewhat harder to remember, different mail addresses can be a challenge. But even that can be done with a minimum of work: I use those disposable yahoo mail addresses you can set up for yourself in a minute and it all works with one main yahoo-account. What is left for the attacker to link accounts together are the mere IP addresses and that shouldn't bother you, aside from the fact that those IPs are saved at all.

So you see, what you as a user can do is very limited, reasonably easy but also very effective. The big task has always been with those people who store the information and provide the tracker interface. Those scripts are not perfect and they can be exploited as has been seen in the past and as everyone can see in the right forums. Some staff and admins do care about this and others don't but how do you discern between those groups? You can't help but blindly trust them until they make mistakes.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    JA's Avatar //Me<3You!? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    =]
    Last edited by Me<3You; 08-17-2007 at 10:07 AM.
    eee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast