Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The biggest ripoff in computer sales history? Yes

slim150's Avatar Poster
    Never have I seen such a bigger ripoff in my entire life. Is this even legal?

I work from home, and as such I see a lot of daytime tv that is geared to people with no jobs / low income. I see a commercial every day for something called blue hippo. www.bluehippo.com

Their pitch (paraphrased): We know that computers are super expensive and hard to afford, but its important that you and your kids get them. Thats why we offer you the ability to pay monthly on "top of the line" new computer systems.

The deal: You give them $99 as a downpayment, and for 1 year you make weekly (thats 52) payments of $39.99. After 13 weeks of payments, they will ship the computer to you.

So lets do the math. Before you get your computer you have to give them:

99 + (39.99 * 13) = $618.87

In total you pay 99 + (39.99 * 52) = $2178.48

I just bought a very nice system (through help with folks on this forum) and it only cost me $830.

NOW heres the best part. What do you get for $2178.48????

The only details are as following:

# Intel 3.06GHz Processor
    # 256MB Memory
    # 80GB Hard Drive
    # CD-ROM & Burner
    # 17" Flat Panel LCD Monitor
    ROFL LOL WTF?

Before its shipped out the door they already make a huge ass profit. I can't believe this is legal. I floored me.

But seriously, if anyone ever ever would purchase through them... they honestly deserve to be in there dire straits of a fiscal situation they are in.
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    ...wow, after reading their site, I basically pay 4 times the money to get a computer 1/10 the performance, after 13 weeks of payment and a down payment, while continuing to make monthly payments 1 year after that.

Jeez, if only I didn't just get a computer, I would be so tempted
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    can I curse? FUCK!
    == dell financing?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    It may be a big ripoff but hardly illegal.
    The terms are clearly stated.
    If the purchaser doesn't know that it's a bad deal then too bad.
    There's a sucker born every minute.

I've seen those ads too.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Those specs are identical to the "base model" PCs we sell at the shop (actually, due to availability issues we now install 512MB RAM) for $529.

Taking advantage of the poor and ignorant (who are probably watching those ads on "rent-to-buy" plasma screens) might be reprehensible and disgusting but is not illegal.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    wow, you wern't kidding.
    This is, by far, the "worst" rippoff in computer sale history.

*dials phone to bluehippo*

Bluehippo: Welcome to Bluehippo Services...Are you looking for a computer today? Dial 1. Are you looking for Support? Dial 2. Are you looking for Billing Help? Dial 3. Are you looking into Computer Technical Support for $50 a minute? Dial 4. Are you looking for Software Maintanence Support for $100 a minute? Dial 5. Are you looking to take advantage of our current monthly special on a 128MB RAM upgrade for only $350? Dial 6. To speak with a customer representative...Dial 9

Wolfmight: 9

Bluehippo: *music* SPONGEBOB SQUARE PANTS! SPONGEBOB SQUARE PANTS! SPONGE BOOOOOOBBBB SQUAAAA_____

Cust. Rep: Hello, represenatative Josh speaking, how may I help you?

Wolfmight: $2,000 FOR THAT PEICE OF SH1T! WTF IS WRONG WITH BLUEHIPPO!?

Cust. Rep: hehe, uhh...Hello? Sir..Sir....Ohhh nooo...the phone line is breaking up...ahhhhhhh *rubbs bubble wrap on the mouth peice* shshshzhzhhzhzhzhzzz

Wolfmight: moron...

Cust. Rep: ...sorry

Wolfmight: lol

Cust. Rep: We just can't have that knowledge spread. The whole company is based of the computer illiterate.

Wolfmight: AND THAT'S HORRIBLE!

Cust. Rep: What's a horrible? *SLAMS PHONE*
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 05-25-2007 at 04:57 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Not illegal but sicking to think some poor schmuck would fall for that deal . The Better Business Bureau should step in and shut down this practice . Like that will happen . You know 14 % interest included over a year would n't seem so bad . But offer a high end computer .

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    I wrote an email to infomercialscams.com I hope they get published on there. Feel free to crank call them all day.
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Quote Originally Posted by slim150 View Post
    I wrote an email to infomercialscams.com I hope they get published on there. Feel free to crank call them all day.
    I don't think prank calling would be a smart thing to do because of legal reasons.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    worse than leasing a car. That is a sick site. I priced everything ion that offer, and here's what I came up with...
    cpu 52
    ram 20
    mobo 50
    optical 30
    monitor 150
    case 30
    lcd tv 250
    printer 25

Grand total = $607

I could have everything in that offer by the end of the initial 13 payments, and they would be MINE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast