Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some help...any experienced ppl with a seedbox

Poster BT Rep: +1
    Ok I'm renting a seedbox and on day 1 I remember having super crazy speeds of 10000kB/s. Now for the last few days I have never seen it go above 5000kB/s total. My uploads speed seem to always hover around 900-1500kB/s per a torrent or even just one torrent. I wanted to see my max speed so I went to SCT and downloaded a torrent and the download just wouldn't break 5000kB/s even with 260 seeds and 8 leechers. This type of thing happens also when I have lots of leechers too and my upload won't even go above 2000 and if it does it doesn't last long. I got my box from this site http://obtrix.net/services.php?service=torrentbox and have the Torrent Advanced option. It says 100Mbps connection and dedicated and I even contacted support which they said they didn't do nothing to my connection. This isn't how my speeds are suppose to be right?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    you are paying for a seedbox package not a dedi server just for youself so that 100Mbps must be shared by other users as well, on shared connetion, speeds vary all time, hash checking can sometimes be such a pain too. if you can stand the speeds, get a dedi server just for your own, 34.95 bucks is enough to get a kimi L if you can order one directly.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Wasn't your problem almost completely answered here already?

/edit: Euh... Am I missing something or did Obtrix change (the description of) their plans since your last problems?
    Last edited by FransTormer; 02-23-2009 at 11:07 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by FransTormer View Post
    Wasn't your problem almost completely answered here already?

/edit: Euh... Am I missing something or did Obtrix change (the description of) their plans since your last problems?
    NO...that was about the server load being high. This is about something else. Yes they did change their plan.

So i'm really not on a dedicated server even though it says dedicated? I have admin console panel and can change any of the settings. I also see 1 user which I'm guessing is me.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by apollooff320 View Post
    NO...that was about the server load being high. This is about something else. Yes they did change their plan.

So i'm really not on a dedicated server even though it says dedicated? I have admin console panel and can change any of the settings. I also see 1 user which I'm guessing is me.
    Dear sir, please try to let me explain some things (without calling me an smartass or anything again).

I work in IT and have seen my fair share or bad and good servers (both on the workfloor as well as seedboxes advertised on the internet). And I truly believe that what has been sold to you, by Obtrix, is in no way a configuration that will let you get speeds up to 10MB/s or seed a lot of torrents at the same time. The resources (RAM, HDD and possibly CPU) are just too limited to work properly.

To put it in perspective; the machine you have rented is not much beefier than an average "EEE PC" or sub-notebook. And you can imagine that in the times of Dell selling you a fully-fledged home-PC for around $800.-, you can't expect your Obtrix-server to run properly with only 1/5th of the Dell-specs, can you now?

So in all honesty and fairness; either during negotiations, you didn't understand what Obtrix was selling you OR Obtrix tricked you into believing something that wasn't there. Without pointing fingers, I can safely tell you that the plan you're on is very much below par for properly seeding/leeching/creating torrents.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6

Dear sir, please try to let me explain some things (without calling me an smartass or anything again).

I work in IT and have seen my fair share or bad and good servers (both on the workfloor as well as seedboxes advertised on the internet). And I truly believe that what has been sold to you, by Obtrix, is in no way a configuration that will let you get speeds up to 10MB/s or seed a lot of torrents at the same time. The resources (RAM, HDD and possibly CPU) are just too limited to work properly.

To put it in perspective; the machine you have rented is not much beefier than an average "EEE PC" or sub-notebook. And you can imagine that in the times of Dell selling you a fully-fledged home-PC for around $800.-, you can't expect your Obtrix-server to run properly with only 1/5th of the Dell-specs, can you now?

So in all honesty and fairness; either during negotiations, you didn't understand what Obtrix was selling you OR Obtrix tricked you into believing something that wasn't there. Without pointing fingers, I can safely tell you that the plan you're on is very much below par for properly seeding/leeching/creating torrents.
    I actually believe that but on day 1 it was nothing but speeds of 10000kB/s. Makes me think they limited me. I need to find a good box but the problem is me living in the U.S and a lot of places don't do business with U.S residents.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I actually believe that but on day 1 it was nothing but speeds of 10000kB/s. Makes me think they limited me. I need to find a good box but the problem is me living in the U.S and a lot of places don't do business with U.S residents.
    If a machine cannot unload/disconnect network-handshakes, it might get overloaded and thus speeds can drop. It is possible (but not 100% always) on every machine and every OS. I even experience things like that on high-end webclusters for major banking-firms.

Anyhow, sorry to hear that Obtrix is a bit of a disappointment for you. Maybe that other company listed on these forums (outsystem.pl) is able to help you out. Well, they do charge in dollars so possibly an option.

Also, but no clue on their current service/activities, there's a guy in Brazil br-hosting.com which is quite flexible on offering custom packages (x torrents + y storage and so on) and I think he does business with everyone.

But that's just my 2 cents, maybe other people have better ideas.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    so what do you think of this box http://www.outsystem.pl/product.php?id_product=10

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    so what do you think of this box http://www.outsystem.pl/product.php?id_product=10
    Already a big step up from your current plan (as in, almost 3 times beefier on CPU & RAM) but still, me personally, don't trust servers with 1GB RAM and just a Celeron onboard.

If you plan on not creating torrents or seeding 10 or 20 torrents to different trackers, it might work out for you. I ordered this one from them to see what the company is like and even I don't create torrents on a daily basis and only use one private tracker but my gut & experience tells me 2GB is the lower limit for a decent server running its OS, especially when it needs to cache a good amount of torrents.

That said, I feel that outsystem has hands-on experience with the OS and good support on the forum here so yes, your choice might run just fine but I have no proof or denial of that at this moment.
    Last edited by FransTormer; 02-23-2009 at 11:54 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Already a big step up from your current plan (as in, almost 3 times beefier on CPU & RAM) but still, me personally, don't trust servers with 1GB RAM and just a Celeron onboard.

If you plan on not creating torrents or seeding 10 or 20 torrents to different trackers, it might work out for you. I ordered this one from them to see what the company is like and even I don't create torrents on a daily basis and only use one private tracker but my gut & experience tells me 2GB is the lower limit for a decent server running its OS, especially when it needs to cache a good amount of torrents.

That said, I feel that outsystem has hands-on experience with the OS and good support on the forum here so yes, your choice might run just fine but I have no proof or denial of that at this moment.
    I don't make torrents and don't plan to seed over 10 torrents. Right now i'm seeding only 3-5 at the max.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast