Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC configurations for HD movies

copacabana's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I open this thread because I really don't know which are the optimal PC configurations to assure a good view of HD movies. Here I refer to 720p, 1080i, 1080p resolutions. So I would like to know what kind of processors, memory, video card, HDD you recommend me for HD movies.
    I am waiting for your opinions. Thank you.
    The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled.

Plutarch (46-120)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    From experience, you can use really any dual-core setup + a Radeon HD video card.

A setup I was using had:
    Pentium Dual-Core E2200 (2.2GHz)
    2GB DDR2 800
    Radeon HD 2400Pro

Total I spent for those plus the mobo that came in a combo with the cpu was about $160. Vid card came with a DVI to HDMI adapter. Picked up a HDMI cable (10ft for $6) oooyeaaa....

From what ive seen, all of the Radeon HD cards support audio through the DVI-to-HDMI.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    well personally I use a Nvidia 8800GT and HD works just fine 1080P on my 42" LCD so I don't think you need an ATI vid card just a decent one. What size screen will you be using? As far as processors I agree with Singa

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    well personally I use a Nvidia 8800GT and HD works just fine 1080P on my 42" LCD so I don't think you need an ATI vid card just a decent one. What size screen will you be using? As far as processors I agree with Singa
    My point is that you can easily watch HD content with cheap components if you buy the right stuff

8800 = $130+

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    AugustoP's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Cheap and silent solution is AMD 780G mainboard + Athlon BE series CPU + 250W PSU. Don't even think about buying a dedicated graphics card if you don't play games cause last generation built-in GPUs have more than enough power to handle HD video, especially the low-bitrate progressive rips which you will probably download.
    Last edited by AugustoP; 05-13-2008 at 07:42 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SingaBoiy View Post
    My point is that you can easily watch HD content with cheap components if you buy the right stuff

8800 = $130+

Wait what!? So this card says in the feature it has HDMI with audio
    Features ATI Avivo HD Video & Media
    Built-in HDMI with HDCP and 5.1 surround audio
    But in the pic I see no HDMI at all unless they mean it you can get an HDMI to DVI cable or converter but as far as I know they have not come out with a video/audio card for HTPC's yet and with HDMI Video cards you still need to run an audio cable.

Now I hope I'm wrong because I will buy this card NOW but I don't see the features matching the pics, could you explain a bit please
    Last edited by Detale; 05-14-2008 at 03:30 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Why in the hell do you need to transmit audio using HDMI?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Because I have a HTPC rig hooked up to my 42" LCD and I watch the Hi Def movies I download and I would LOVE to be able to use just the HDMI cable without separate audio

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SingaBoiy View Post

8800 = $130+

Wait what!? So this card says in the feature it has HDMI with audio
    Features ATI Avivo HD Video & Media
    Built-in HDMI with HDCP and 5.1 surround audio
    But in the pic I see no HDMI at all unless they mean it you can get an HDMI to DVI cable or converter but as far as I know they have not come out with a video/audio card for HTPC's yet and with HDMI Video cards you still need to run an audio cable.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...161-191-04.jpg

Now I hope I'm wrong because I will buy this card NOW but I don't see the features matching the pics, could you explain a bit please
    Yes, the HD series of Radeon cards are capable of having audio through the hdmi cable

Thats how my setup is right now. Check out this HIS version. When I bought it, it came with a "Free Gift"

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Because I have a HTPC rig hooked up to my 42" LCD and I watch the Hi Def movies I download and I would LOVE to be able to use just the HDMI cable without separate audio
    If you wish to pay $100+ to get rid of extra cable be my guest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast