Thread: laws in uk

does anyone know the uk laws for downloading. i read somewhere that file sharing (uploading) is illegal and you can be prosecuted for it but the downloading of files isn't a sueable crime, can anyone shed any light on this?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by asfdlq3i45poi View Post
    I'm an American, so I wouldn't know
    That was probably the most pointless comment ever.

Im pretty sure its illegal to download and upload here in the u.k. either way if your using newsgroups the BPI have no idea what you are downloading so they cant sue you anyway.

isp's have to keep your personel data confidential which will include what you have downloaded so they wont say anything either.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by asfdlq3i45poi View Post
    I'm an American, so I wouldn't know
    That was probably the most pointless comment ever.

Im pretty sure its illegal to download and upload here in the u.k. either way if your using newsgroups the BPI have no idea what you are downloading so they cant sue you anyway.

isp's have to keep your personel data confidential which will include what you have downloaded so they wont say anything either.
    aye,

im sure its more unlikely ull get raped for using newsgroups than using torrents.

as over 100+ people dont get to see ur IP when u download.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    the bpi??

ok i have had a post on ssl as i wanted to know if its needed, people said that an isp can see what your downloading and if they really wanted could send letters etc to you, is this likely to happen in uk??