Thread: Question About Memory

I don't get any lag but I was just bored and decided to press ALT + CTRL + DEL today and i saw that my ram used was 449M (I have 1.5gb ram on this computer), now I'm thinking how am I using up so much ram because I'm using the same apps as my desktop and my desktop only has 512mb ram. Now I compare the applications

notebook > desktop
    nod32krn = 21,952k > 7,672k
    svchost = 20,700k > 2,080k
    DkServive > 18,428 > 1,766k
    vmware-authd > 3,672k > 672k

these are just some apps but any clue as to why the difference is so large?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Does your other computer happen to use a different version of Windows than XP?

I've noticed windows XP to suck up over 300MB of RAM after a fresh boot! Run a memory optimizer like TuneUp Utilities' to see what I mean.

It's kind of funny that it uses so much RAM, when the system requirement for XP is a ridiculous 128MB... That would only if your system is CONSTANTLY dumping memory for other programs.

My guess at why your laptop is using so much more RAM, is basically just because it has more to utilize. So simply, because it can.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    david02's Avatar only human BT Rep: +1
    There are different svghost processes in memory which use different amounts of memory.

I think processes will sometimes use more memory so the amount will fluctuate everytime.
    ''God is dead.'' - Nietche
    ''Nietche is dead!'' -God

graffiti

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    actually damnatory i think u might be right, since the computer has more memory it probably utilizes a lot more memory, because i installed windows xp on my mothers computer and its a P3 w/ 128mb ram and it runs the same software w/out much lag. I guess a computer adjusts to the amount of ram you have

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory View Post
    when the system requirement for XP is a ridiculous 128MB...
    That's a myth. Try running XP on 128....or even 256.....

Rule of thumb: Take any M$ recommendation and triple or quadruple it.
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by fkdup74 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory View Post
    when the system requirement for XP is a ridiculous 128MB...
    That's a myth. Try running XP on 128....or even 256.....

Rule of thumb: Take any M$ recommendation and triple or quadruple it.
    I have actually run XP on 128MB before, but it is painfully slow. The friend I installed it for is still using it that way, and for some reason keeps putting off buying more RAM... I've told her it would drastically increase the performance, but just won't invest the money to buy a 512MB stick.

The problem I have is that I multi task A LOT. I'll have 8-10 things open at a time rather than re-launching progs. That is just not possible on her comp. She rarely uses her PC for more than browsing and writing school papers so it really can't be that disappointing for her though.