Thread: Kosovan Independence

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    An interesting precedent here.

Mr Bush has declared in Albania that Kosovo should become independent. A big crowd pleaser in Tirana it is understandably less popular in Belgrade.

The population in Kosovo is now about 90% ethnic Albanian or indeed actual Albanian, as the border leaked like a sieve. I say it is an interesting precedent because it seems to suggest that if enough illegal immigrants enter a country and shift the population predominantly in their favour then they can declare independence. Kosova can hardly exist as a landlocked tiny country without close ties to Albania. It has been the desire of the Albanians to futher the cause of "greater Albanian" for a 100 years or more and was one of the Balkan flashpoints.

We live interesting times. Does Bush know what he is doing I ask myself and if he does what are his aims?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    demographic warcraft is pretty common i think and has been going on for ages (e.g. Britain shipping protestants to Ireland?). In more recent times other examples are taht Russia and China both shifted large numbers of their countrymen into countries that they took over (tibet, estonia etc) and thereby solidified their control in these countries. In fact i think in Estonia their first free elections after soviet rule they banned all ethnic Russians from voting which was hardly democratic, but very necessary if the (slightly more) indigenous Estonians wanted their country back.
    Demographic strife is an inevitable consequence of democracy imo, and most of the time you can't really legitimately defend against it. In a democracy the people that are most numerous have the advantage and therefore if you want to control a country you just have to aim to shift the demographic, either by reproducing more or by importing.
    I remember reading an opinion piece where someone said that the lack of reproductive imperative is one of the reasons that ultimately secularism will never dominate, religious people will always outnumber the non-religious.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    An interesting precedent here.

Mr Bush has declared in Albania that Kosovo should become independent. A big crowd pleaser in Tirana it is understandably less popular in Belgrade.

The population in Kosovo is now about 90% ethnic Albanian or indeed actual Albanian, as the border leaked like a sieve. I say it is an interesting precedent because it seems to suggest that if enough illegal immigrants enter a country and shift the population predominantly in their favour then they can declare independence. Kosova can hardly exist as a landlocked tiny country without close ties to Albania. It has been the desire of the Albanians to futher the cause of "greater Albanian" for a 100 years or more and was one of the Balkan flashpoints.

We live interesting times. Does Bush know what he is doing I ask myself and if he does what are his aims?
    Of course he does..nothing new there take the "USA" Australia, and others and it will continue.

Be prepared for the Sharia and fighting for your honor.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Is anyone really truly independent anymore?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Is anyone really truly independent anymore?
    Deep Barbie, very deep.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    More proper to ask the question substituting for the word independent/independence the word unaligned, I think.

Bush wants to make sure that if Russia ever threw in with/was passive toward an aggressive China, she shouldn't necessarily count all her former satellites in as well.

He wishes Putin had sought an alignment with the U.S. that would preclude this potentiality, but is instead applying pressure, through such as the Turkey/NATO move, fiddling large in Korean affairs, and talking about missiles/defense shields.

Let us not forget Putin has a really large testicles, too, and the pride of Mother Russia weighing on his shoulders.

Bush, on the other hand (the same hand, actually), hasn't a subtle bone in his head.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    More proper to ask the question substituting for the word independent/independence the word unaligned, I think.

Bush wants to make sure that if Russia ever threw in with/was passive toward an aggressive China, she shouldn't necessarily count all her former satellites in as well.

He wishes Putin had sought an alignment with the U.S. that would preclude this potentiality, but is instead applying pressure, through such as the Turkey/NATO move, fiddling large in Korean affairs, and talking about missiles/defense shields.

Let us not forget Putin has a really large testicles, too, and the pride of Mother Russia weighing on his shoulders.

Bush, on the other hand (the same hand, actually), hasn't a subtle bone in his head.
    An invasion of Albania is imminent. "Albanian Al-Qaeda stole my watch."
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post

Well, they only have to be right once, you see.

Actually, an invasion is made even more likely by the fact of their adoration for him.

Makes the aftermath a bit easier to contemplate.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post

Actually, an invasion is made even more likely by the fact of their adoration for him.

To be sure there is much to commend an invasion policy that takes into account the welcome likely to be received. This has been a tad overlooked in recent years (or at least miscalculated)
    Last edited by Biggles; 06-13-2007 at 11:47 AM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

To be sure there is to commend an invasion policy that takes into account the welcome likely to be received. This has been a tad overlooked in recent years (or at least miscalculated)
    Precisely so.

-Mark Twain