Thread: Seedbox with a shared Host? Possible?

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole seedbox thing, but I love the idea (plus i have comcast which limits my uploading to 40kb/s ).

Anyways I already have an account with dreamhost for my website, and i've got about 3TB of unused bandwidth each month. Its shared hosting, but I was wondering if it was possible to turn it into a seedbox? All the guides i've seen so far have been for dedicated hosts.

Thanks for the help

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    direstraits's Avatar Out ta get me BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    First I think you should host a file and try to see the max speed you can get while downloading

good luck!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    I tried to do it on 1&1 shared hosting and my account was instantly banned. I'd be careful.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mavenfool View Post
    I tried to do it on 1&1 shared hosting and my account was instantly banned. I'd be careful.
    Yea after looking into it further, my host doesn't allow anything related to bittorrent hosted on their shared servers. Looks like i'm gonna have to drop a little cash and go with a dedicated. thanks for the help guys

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +1
    Maybe

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    depends on the server, some doesnt care unless it doesnt eat many resources of the machine.
    I have 2 accounts on dreamhost, I´ve got a warning on one of them because I and two more people were running too many torrent on the same time on torrentflux. On the other, I use normally, just me, running just one torrent per time. But always happens "Torrent Died" ...