Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pc gets shutdown

i have an problem regarding my pc, when i start pc, pc starts normally after 5 min it shutdowns automatically, what will be the problem

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Faulty power supply or overheating?
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    ckrit's Avatar Flagpole
    That's very little information, and I can't really say for sure.

Off the top of my head, my two first guesses would be:

*Either an actual overheat, or a busted temp sensor showing too high temps, leading to a forced bios-level shutdown. Check your temps.

*If you're running windows, you've managed to kill the rpc service, or you've got a virus that's done it. Check so remote procedure call shows as running, and automatic in the list of services. (Get there quickly through Run > Services.msc). Or try a live cd of some kind, knoppix fex, and see if it still shuts down when you're running another os.
    Last edited by ckrit; 04-30-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    ckrit d<rit c|<rit

Mi signotaur > urs.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by ckrit View Post
    That's very little information, and I can't really say for sure.

Off the top of my head, my two first guesses would be:

*Either an actual overheat, or a busted temp sensor showing too high temps, leading to a forced bios-level shutdown. Check your temps.

*If you're running windows, you've managed to kill the rpc service, or you've got a virus that's done it. Check so remote procedure call shows as running, and automatic in the list of services. (Get there quickly through Run > Services.msc). Or try a live cd of some kind, knoppix fex, and see if it still shuts down when you're running another os.
    As above, if it is an actual overheat the sensor which shuts down the PC is the C.O.P. or CPU Overheat Protection, a thermal sensor underneath the CPU itself. This can be faulty ( in the past this was a common failing but we have moved on from the bad old days) it is an uncommon fault these days since the sensor itself is well protected and CPU's are actually able to better dissipate heat as well due to more efficient HSF designs.

The other suggestions that a virus or malware are active and are causing either random or timed reboots as part of the malicious behaviour are also something to check, but as others have said, without more information we can only guess broadly.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Won't that overheat protection kick in even if you're in BIOS. Doesn't the CPU go fucking full throttle when BIOS is loaded? If so, could be a way to test it right, leave it in bios. I think I remember seeing the temps at the higher end on one of my MBs before, as compared with when the OS is loaded/idle.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Won't that overheat protection kick in even if you're in BIOS.
    Most certainly.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Won't that overheat protection kick in even if you're in BIOS. Doesn't the CPU go fucking full throttle when BIOS is loaded? If so, could be a way to test it right, leave it in bios. I think I remember seeing the temps at the higher end on one of my MBs before, as compared with when the OS is loaded/idle.
    BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System ( I know I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs here ) and all it really does it run through the basic computer functions and check that they are up and running, the CPU is usually only idling at this point? what kind of CPU/motherboard was it you had & why was it running at full throttle?
    Last edited by Artemis; 04-30-2012 at 03:10 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    IDK. Mine ups the clock speed to max I think, when I hit BIOS. It doesn't do the turbo-thing, though. I think it's to do with minimizing jumps between speeds if you start mucking around with multis and stuff. Even so, if the OP's computer does it after five minutes, I doubt that's under much load to begin with, unless it autostarts prime 95 or something, for some mental reason.

A couple of computers I've had, it also starts running the fans at full speed.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Yeah, I was iffy about it cementing myself with processor load in BIOS because I don't know how it works. I just know that when I power cycle and calibrate my laptop battery, that fucker gets hot and takes a shorter amount of time to discharge than when in Windows. And on the rare occasion I allow my desktop to not have an OS loaded, I've seen higher than typical idle temperatures (BIOS measurement accuracy ?) and the fans kickin' it like hard knocks.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Yeah, I was iffy about it cementing myself with processor load in BIOS because I don't know how it works. I just know that when I power cycle and calibrate my laptop battery, that fucker gets hot and takes a shorter amount of time to discharge than when in Windows. And on the rare occasion I allow my desktop to not have an OS loaded, I've seen higher than typical idle temperatures (BIOS measurement accuracy ?) and the fans kickin' it like hard knocks.
    Since I only have one AMD system lying around at my fingertips right now to do a comparison on which is fair with your system macky I used a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H, which is based on the AMD 780G chipset running an AM2 X2 6400+ processor. In the BIOS specifically in the PC health area checking the readings the CPU temp was 33 degress m/b 26,CPU fanspeed was 1638rpm and system fan was 597rpm, these are all what I consider idling parameters. On intel based systems I know that with speedstepping they step down anyway to the baseline speed unless required so fan speeds will be about 30-35% of total output. Variations come in to play with custom cooling solutions, but this has a standard AMD cooler installed.
    Last edited by Artemis; 04-30-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast