Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple criticized for embedding names, e-mails in songs

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "It used to be that music fans believed cryptic messages about Satan or the death of a band member were hidden within rock albums."

Recently, iTunes released a new version--7.2.0.34, sometimes called iTunes Plus--of their software that enables users to purchase DRM-free music. According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), Apple is now "embedding customer information within iTunes music" which includes the customer's names and e-mail address. Naturally, this seems like an attempt by the iPod giant to add some type of watermark to music files so the files can be traced.

However, EFF attorney Fred von Lohmann believes that this was not Apple's intent and Mike Goodman, a Yankee Group Research analyst, said that the watermark is "certainly better than digital rights management." Goodman continues to say that "Watermarking does not treat the consumer like a criminal" where it "works on the assumption that a consumer is innocent but provides the industry an opportunity to catch someone that breaks the law" compared to DRM. So...the whole tracking thing?

Source: C|Net News
    -- Related: Apple's Jobs calls for DRM-free music
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 06-03-2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Switched sentences around, some editing. I suck.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I Think that's perfectly reasonable. I dispise DRM. This would be a significant improvement. It won't hinder me because I don't upload anything I get from itunes. And this way, I won't have to listen to a tunebyte transcode just because I want some freedom.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    It makes sense. Anyone who wants to share their music might get in trouble, and therefore ... not like it, but the honest ones won't care.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerdinh View Post
    It makes sense. Anyone who wants to share their music might get in trouble, and therefore ... not like it, but the honest ones won't care.
    EXACTLY! You KNOW the only ones bitching about this are the ones who want to upload it

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    WHRST's Avatar immortalis BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerdinh View Post
    EXACTLY! You KNOW the only ones bitching about this are the ones who want to upload it

6. News (Archive)   -   #6

Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by WHRST View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Or give their pal a copy...iPod rips then they could post it online or give it to someone else.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    I don't use ITUNES so I don't really care but I was wondering...is the info stored on the ID3 tag? You can delete the info easy if it is. lol I'm sure there is a way to remove the info.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by killuminati96 View Post
    I don't use ITUNES so I don't really care but I was wondering...is the info stored on the ID3 tag? You can delete the info easy if it is. lol I'm sure there is a way to remove the info.
    Von Lohmann pointed out that data could easily be compromised if an iPod is lost or stolen.
    I assume you could remove it, too. You know...since its so easy anyhow.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    cant u just burn to cd and rencode or some more sophisticated way to remove watermark

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I'm sure that would work since it removes the drm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast