Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer 7: Flawed or Misunderstood?

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    It's been a weird couple of weeks for Internet Explorer. On August 7, 2006, Jeff Reifman blogged about a supposed statistical analysis of Internet Explorer (IE) 6, IE 7, Firefox, and Opera in which each browser was scored for its standards compliance. According to this data set, Firefox 1.5 complies with 93 percent of the Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) 2.1 specification, compared to 93 percent for Opera 8.5, 96 percent for Opera 9, a woeful 52 percent for IE 6, and an equally problematic 54 percent for IE 7. The issue here was clear, assuming the data was correct: Despite its multi-year development, IE 7 would offer only a negligible advantage over IE 6 in a key Web technology.

Read More

Source: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...understood.asp

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    It's sad that it's that low.
    I expected higher than that from IE7.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    j0hn's Avatar leet poster BT Rep: +1
    i didnt
    i downloaded the beta ages ago, but couldnt bring myself to install it.
    curiousity wasnt even enough.

they'd have to rename/rebrand it completely for me to even try it.
    i use firefox for everything. i havent had ANY browsing/spyware/adware/etc problems since switching from i.e.
    before i switched, i had some sort of problem on an almost daily basis.

not a surprise, after all, microsoft made it.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Ah I wish it was better too , it would keep Firefox or Opera striving to be # 2 .
    Microsoft’s Latest Patch for IE Causes Crashes.

Link :

http://www.playfuls.com/news_03992_M...s_Crashes.html
    Last edited by peat moss; 08-17-2006 at 10:59 PM.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I hate Internet Explorer now and i would rather use firefox or opera anyday.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    The problem is so many sites are designed to run for ie6 that suddenly dumping full css support on everyone would make it a nightmare for everyone to update.

chirs wilson the group program manager for ie has been getting some flack of late after he claimed the tests which showed css support was 54% were speculative at best and he believed ie7 sits somewhere in the 50 - 90 percent range.

Anyway his blog site here doesn't validate properly against the w3c specs but does have a bit more info about ie's css support.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    The problem is so many sites are designed to run for ie6 that suddenly dumping full css support on everyone would make it a nightmare for everyone to update.
    They don't have to learn it or change much if anything though.
    It would just be there and available for web developers that actually know how and want to use it.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Funny enough beta 2 never crashed and beta 3 has crashed a coupla times when using YouTube.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    It would just be there and available for web developers that actually know how and want to use it.
    So what happens when your old non standard compliant site designed for ie6 now comes across ie7 which is fully compliant and renders the site badly.

you now have the choice of redesigning the whole site to be standard compliant and screw ie6 users or have a hack that renders the site differently for older browsers. Either way its alot of effort for web designers.

Im waiting for firefox to have a large portion of the browser market and then ie will suddenly be the browser people complain about because sites dont work properly in it. Then microsoft will be forced to be standard compliant.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    So what happens when your old non standard compliant site designed for ie6 now comes across ie7 which is fully compliant and renders the site badly.

you now have the choice of redesigning the whole site to be standard compliant and screw ie6 users or have a hack that renders the site differently for older browsers. Either way its alot of effort for web designers.

Im waiting for firefox to have a large portion of the browser market and then ie will suddenly be the browser people complain about because sites dont work properly in it. Then microsoft will be forced to be standard compliant.
    ...and then Firefox will have all the security problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast