Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Examples of LAMP-based website?

I'm new to programming, as in I dropped the only class (Java) I've taken in college due to time constraints. I would like to start learning PHP/MYSQL and build a website to keep track of my media collection. I have other plans for it also, but my main interest at the moment is to see good examples of what LAMP is capable of in the real world. Is it even possible to know that a site is built on LAMP? As I said, I'm new at this, so don't bite back too hard if this was a stupid question. I'd love any advice or links that might help. I can elaborate on my ideas for my site if anyone is interested or needs specifics. If you have any good sites that are powered by Linux/Apache/Mysql/Php, please reply. thanks biff

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    A lot are...
    This one for example.
    vbulletin.com and vbulletin.org are.
    As I think of more i'll post them. I'm not sure if there's a way of knowing easily other than viewing error404 pages (look at the bottom) but it's pretty safe to assume most sites running their sites on php are using LAMP servers.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Thanks for the links. It would seem that most sites i visit (forum-wise) are php. I never knew how widespread it was, but now I am more sure that I want to learn it. I've seen plenty of mention around here about books to read, but I think every book ever written on the subject has been suggested. It's tough to single one out. I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but the way web technology changes, there are always new books and information coming out. Are therre any recent book that will help me start? It would have to assume no prior programming knowledge, i suppose.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Your best bet to learn about LAMP is to get an old machine install linux on it and then setup apache, mysql and php.
    http://www.howtoforge.com/lamp_installation_ubuntu6.06

grab any plain php5 ebook you care and learn a bit about programming. learn the basics and then you can delve into accessing databases and such. Wrox.Beginning.PHP5.Apache.and.MySQL.Web.Development was well worth a read.

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3398051/PHP___MySQL_e-books

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    It just so happens that my last roommate just gave me his old computer. I was looking for something to use it for, but at the moment the hard drives needed for a multi-TB RAID5 bittorrent machine are a little out of my price range...so a noobieLAMP it is. That book was in my list of "torrents to get" already. Good to know it's a good one. Thanks again.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Incase you might have a hard time figuring linux out (unless you really want to learn it ), you can install apache, php and mysql on a windows computer (WAMP?) to use as a developer machine and get to learn php+html+css

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Thanks rossco, that's good to know. I tried linux (I think it was red hat 7.3) a couple years ago, but didn't have any application for it. I'm in school for Mechanical Engineering and none of the programs we use (AutoCAD, ProE, or Solidworks) is available for linux. I really want to learn more about it, too. All the talk I hear about kernals (sp?) and mounting and whateverelse I've never done is intimidating. However, the only way to learn is to try, right. Plus, I learn by making mistakes and figuring out what I did to foul things up.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by biff_m View Post
    Thanks rossco, that's good to know. I tried linux (I think it was red hat 7.3) a couple years ago, but didn't have any application for it. I'm in school for Mechanical Engineering and none of the programs we use (AutoCAD, ProE, or Solidworks) is available for linux. I really want to learn more about it, too. All the talk I hear about kernals (sp?) and mounting and whateverelse I've never done is intimidating. However, the only way to learn is to try, right. Plus, I learn by making mistakes and figuring out what I did to foul things up.
    actually, proE was originally written for linux. I'm an ME major as well, and one of my former bosses at my work study job ran all kinds of cad off his mandrake linux machine. so it can be done. by the way what school are you at?
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    I go to UMass-Amherst. Currently not very proud of that fact. The school is more interested in raising its enrollment numbers instead of serving the current students. Long story.
    Last edited by biff_m; 11-08-2006 at 07:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast