Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Waffles site policy

Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    Hello all. Waffles has a thread that has a list of torrent sites in which a lot of these "secret" sites have their urls listed out with their abbreviations. The reason that's stated is this "Do NOT PM me asking to remove your own site. The internet is not private."

I like Waffles and I think it's a nice place to post, but if some sites don't want their urls listed out then why not grant them their wish? Is it too much to ask? Shouldn't torrent sites cooperate with each other to peacefully coexist?

It's ironic that waffles staff believe that the internet is public yet have a somewhat fake login page.

So is this a case of waffles's admin being high-handed or do they have a point?
    What do you guys think?
    Last edited by soulreaper; 01-17-2009 at 07:31 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Time-Traveller's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
    Hello all. Waffles has a thread that has a list of torrent sites in which a lot of these "secret" sites have their urls listed out with their abbreviations. The reason that's stated is this "Do NOT PM me asking to remove your own site. The internet is not private."

I like Waffles and I think it's a nice place to post, but if some sites don't want their urls listed out then why not grant them their wish? Is it too much to ask? Shouldn't torrent sites cooperate with each other to peacefully coexist?

It's ironic that waffles staff believe that the internet is private yet have a somewhat fake login page.

So is this a case of waffles's admin being high-handed or do they have a point?
    What do you guys think?
    On one hand there should be honor among thieves and on the other the internet is all about freedom of information.

Kind of like and unstoppable force hitting an unmovable object

Which is right ? You decide !

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    mamacita's Avatar Tarding is bad!! BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    It's actually a call-back to the old OinK. They had the same list there on the forums for an eternity.
    Kindness goes a long way!

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    The reason that's stated is this "Do NOT PM me asking to remove your own site. The internet is not private."
    Totally agree some of this sites are just stupid they really think everyone dont know what there url are anyway, the best is some dont want it shown at all but one quick search in google and their url is first on the list.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    ...The reason that's stated is this "Do NOT PM me asking to remove your own site. The internet is not private."
    It's ironic that waffles staff believe that the internet is private public yet have a somewhat fake login page.
    fixed

Waffles attracts a particular type of crowd. They are providing services to that crowd.

The login page provides the delusion of confidentiality from the public authority.
    Just because waffles.fm doesn't explicitly say they are the largest music pirating organization par excellence, doesn't mean the authorities can't prove its existence and aren't already well aware of it.

The list of trackers provide the delusion of accessibility to the private trackers.
    Just because you know the name of the site, doesn't make it any more accessible.

I gained no benefit when I learned their unabbreviated names. I was like "Oh cool, now I can enter this string of characters into my address bar and stare longingly at the log-in page..."

I don't see the motivation for that list. If another private site doesn't want the entire world to know of their http address, I agree with you soulreaper, they should respect that. I mean it seems they value privacy, else there wouldn't be a need for that fake "site in development" login page.

But maybe it's tongue-in-cheek; they don't actually care about privacy insofar as the legality of piracy is concerned, and their homepage is intended to satirize the futility of fake homepages of BCG and Uk-T. But that would be mean, right?
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-17-2009 at 12:25 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    it's just waffles doing a bit more emulating. i thought by now they would have died off, but oddly enough they've lingered, almost like a parasite...

they didn't built Rome in one day

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by integral View Post
    it's just waffles doing a bit more emulating. i thought by now they would have died off, but oddly enough they've lingered, almost like a parasite...
    ...Someone didn't get into their favorite tracker
    [didn't know they expired]
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-16-2009 at 11:41 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenya View Post
    ...Someone didn't get into their favorite tracker Lemme pull up their Alexa chart...

It looks like many people initially came to the site, and only few have stayed...
    because alexa rankings are completely relevant for torrent websites......

I think I'll borrow this stellar logic, and start checking the Google PageRank for all my favorite private sites to see if they're dying or not.

they didn't built Rome in one day

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster
    Just arrogant of them. It might be a stupid policy by other sites but they should be a tiny bit more mature and not act so hostile to other sites.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    because alexa rankings are completely relevant for torrent websites......

I think I'll borrow this stellar logic, and start checking the Google PageRank for all my favorite private sites to see if they're dying or not.
    I appreciate the sarcasm. Really, made me laugh because I was thinking the same thing. Anyway, I was interested in the graph, but it's not terribly insightful.
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-16-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast