Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accidentily got banned on what.cd, what now?

Unsure

Hi,

Yesterday I got banned from WHAT.CD for using RatioMaster. The problem is, I didn't mean to use it to cheat. Being an Information Science student, I wanted to see how RatioMaster fools the tracker into thinking you've uploaded more than you really have.

I edited a few torrent files that I happened to have on my system at the time to point to the local (127.0.0.1) BT tracker I had installed for testing purposes, but when I started testing things later, I accidentily loaded the wrong (unedited) torrents.

When I noticed my mistake (it really can't have been more than 15 mins), I quit the torrents immediately, but the harm was already done. I got banned. Later that day, I went to explain myself on the what.cd IRC channel. Before I had the chance to explain what happened exactly (I got an incoming phone call and left the conversation briefly to answer it), I got banned from IRC as well.

I have nowhere to go to plead my case now. I mean, c'mon, even if I wanted to cheat on WHAT.CD, I wouldn't try cheating 1GB/sec. I might be stupid for not paying enough attention to the torrents I loaded in RatioMaster, but I'm not stupid enough to think that *any* private BT tracker wouldn't notice such a spike in "traffic".

I feel really bad for the friend that invited me and probably got banned because of me. He surely doesn't deserve to be punished for my stupidity.

If there are any what.cd administrators here, I would ask them kindly to re-evaluate my case, or at least consider not banning the person that invited me because of my actions.
    Last edited by Dijkie; 09-08-2009 at 08:46 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Over the internet very few ppl would believe the story you have just told .. BT World is full of stories like these and the bad part is half of em are just lies .. so nobody just bothers to even read stories/explanations like these ..

Also care to explain y u were intersted in knwing how the ratio master performs it "trick"? I mean u r from Information Science background rite? Cudnt u just open up the fucking file and understand the code flow wise guy? Its not like the code changes during execution? Source files are there for a purpose dude ..

Well u did something stupid and now u have to pay the cost ..
    Last edited by apextwin146; 09-08-2009 at 07:26 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by apextwin146 View Post
    Over the internet very few ppl would believe the story you have just told .. BT World is full of stories like these and the bad part is half of em are just lies .. so nobody just bothers to even read stories/explanations like these ..

Also care to explain y u were intersted in knwing how the ratio master performs it "trick"? I mean u r from Information Science background rite? Cudnt u just open up the fucking file and understand the code flow wise guy? Its not like the code changes during execution? Source files are there for a purpose dude ..

Well u did something stupid and now u have to pay the cost ..
    RatioMaster is, as far as I know, not an open source project, so NO, I couldn't just "open the program and understand the code flow" as there's no code flow to understand in an executable.

Your mistake;you should never do your 'experiment' on a tracker famous for catching cheaters.
    Did you even read my post? I didn't mean to experiment with any tracker except my own.
    Last edited by Dijkie; 09-08-2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dijkie View Post
    Hi,

Yesterday I got banned from WHAT.CD for using RatioMaster. The problem is, I didn't mean to use it to cheat. Being an Information Science student, I wanted to see how RatioMaster does its "trick" (if you can call it that)

I edited a few torrent files that I happened to have on my system at the time to point to the local (127.0.0.1) BT tracker I had installed for testing purposes, but when I started testing things later, I accidentily loaded the wrong (unedited) torrents.

When I noticed my mistake (it can't have been more than 15 mins), I quit the torrents immediately, but the harm was already done. I got banned. Later that day, I went to explain myself on the what.cd IRC channel. Before I had the chance to explain what happened exactly (I got an incoming phone call and left the conversation briefly to answer it), I got banned from IRC as well.

I have nowhere to go to plead my case now. I mean, c'mon, even if I wanted to cheat on WHAT.CD, I wouldn't try cheating 1GB/sec. I might be stupid for not paying enough attention to the torrents I loaded in RatioMaster, but I'm not stupid enough to think that *any* private BT tracker wouldn't notice such a spike in "traffic".

I feel really bad for the friend that invited me and probably got banned because of me. He surely doesn't deserve to be punished for my stupidity.

If there are any what.cd administrators here, I would ask them kindly to re-evaluate my case, or at least consider not banning the person that invited me because of my actions.
    I didn't really understand the technical aspect of your post completely but I feel you're genuine. If you were a cheater, you wouldn't feel bad if your inviter got banned and more importantly you wouldn't come and announce yourself here about what happened coz cheaters like to stay anonymous.
    If I was the admin, I would re-evaluate your case if you haven't skipped out the gory details.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
    I didn't really understand the technical aspect of your post completely but I feel you're genuine. If you were a cheater, you wouldn't feel bad if your inviter got banned and more importantly you wouldn't come and announce yourself here about what happened coz cheaters like to stay anonymous.
    If I was the admin, I would re-evaluate your case if you haven't skipped out the gory details.
    Actually, I can perfectly live without what.cd -- but the person who invited me may not. Making sure he doesn't get banned along with me is the main reason I've come to plead my case on these forums.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    So the person who invited you may die if banned from What.cd? Better help him get into Waffles then. He may still have a shot at a normal life...

You can wait and see if the What.cd admin that is a member here sees this thread and decides to take pity on you(if your story is indeed true). But I would honestly just let this go if I were you. I really can't see them giving you another chance. I'm sure there are tons of cheaters that go to their irc everyday with some kind of excuse as to what happened. I don't see why they would treat you any differently.

I'll say a prayer for your friend.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    lisabritpop's Avatar godwillblesslisa
    what.cd is really a g8 music tracker,you've made a really big mistake!Why you did such a silly experiment,I'm sorry you deserves punishment,m8....

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Quote Originally Posted by kooftspc11 View Post
    nice exercise in accountability, douche!

if you even cared half as much as you're pretending to you wouldn't have tracked your shit all over their carpet.

Imagine a friend lets you borrow their car....and you go buy drugs with it. At some point on the way back home you get pulled over and they find the drugs and you go to jail. Your friends car may or may not be impounded for good but YOU fucked up!!!

You're either a shitbag of a friend or just a shitbag in general...which is it? These are the types of situations that your "better" judgment has gotten you into. This probably isn't your first time and certainly wont be the last. So instead of coming in here and act like you're twice as stupid as we give you credit for, (because you can't control your moronic urges) just go sit in some corner and play with your ratiomasturbator til you're fucking blue in the face. It's what you wanted, right?

first time am agreeing to something you've posted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dijkie View Post
    Hi,
    Yesterday I got banned from WHAT.CD for using RatioMaster. The problem is, I didn't mean to use it to cheat. Being an Information Science student, I wanted to see how RatioMaster fools the tracker into thinking you've uploaded more than you really have.
    like the chic has said,you did something really stupid and to come and share your idiocy in public only serves to make you twice as dumb.
    Regardless of your intentions,you shouldn't have been anywhere near ratiomaster and your ban is well deserved.Man up and face the consequences of your actions as that's the only way you'll learn and you can now stop drawing too much attention to your buddy(assuming its not your dupe account).

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    You used a cheating software on a private tracker. That's how cheating is defined.

Nobody cares wether you made some experiments, wanted to improve your skills, were too drunk, have a third world internet pipe, wether your little cousin, your cat or your grandfather did it.

You cheated on a private tracker - fact.

So please spare us any stupid explanations next time you get caught.

It doesn't matter why you did it. The fact that you did it is important. On good trackers there is no second chance for cheaters.

The first and golden rule of every fucking cheater is: Never ever under no circumstances admit that you've cheated. You're not only a cheater but also a n00bish one. Crying cheaters are just a waste of time for tracker staff. They could do better things with their free time like improve the tracker for the good members.

P.S. I wouldn't be suprised if the OP has another account here by the way.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post

P.S. I wouldn't be suprised if the OP has another account here by the way.
    Exactly. If you're such a good guy and you really want to help your friend, post using your original account. No risk, no reward sort to speak.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast