Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Building your own projection tv

Has anyone ever done this or know anyone who has?

I am thinking about giving it a try just for the hell of it. I really want one of these, but want to wait until I can afford a really good one, or the prices drop enough. But for the time being, I may do this for the fun of it

Link

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    thats amazing

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4

Yeah, I joined the lumenlabs site and spent most of yesterday reading around.

I was going to add that into this thread but it didn't seem anyone was interested.

I was pretty amazed at what they are doing and how the quality is, now I just gotta decide what I want and get to finding parts

Off to check out your other links because I stopped with lumenlabs when i was googleing.

EDIT: I had no idea that this was such a popular hobby... I had never heard of this before yesterday when i googled for projection tv
    Last edited by tracydani; 08-15-2005 at 05:42 AM.
    Peace of mind Findnot

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Check out the quality of this guys pictures
    Peace of mind Findnot

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Dont all you have to have is a projector with AV inputs and a blank wall?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    But they are expensive. The cheapest I have seen is $1,000.00 and the current cheapest arount here is $1,300.00.

The projectors these guys are building have better/larger pictures in general and cost anywhere from $200.00-$500.00 unless they go crazy and build monsters

And I think I was unclear on the title of the thread, these are not tv's but projectors.

I'm researching and am going to build one (unless someone is nice enough to give me a new one ). They seem rather easy, it is mostly the appearance of the projectors body that seems to be the tough part, so I will just need to have lower standards and focus on the picture
    Peace of mind Findnot

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by tracydani
    Check out the quality of this guys pictures
    all i need is a 15" LCD now

My Blog
    I'm still here.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    That's pretty sharp.

Damn and all I know about is the current $1000 plus projectors.

It'd be sharp if someone made a box that hangs from the ceiling with the projector housed in it. That's alotta weight though.

My cuz has an overhead projector (I think it was about $1500) with a screen that cost $300.

He loves playin' Socom on it.

I'm going to tell him about this. He shouldn't have much problem being an architect and into computers.

Thanks for the site.
    Last edited by Busyman; 08-23-2005 at 12:59 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    It'd be sharp if someone made a box that hangs from the ceiling with the projector housed in it. That's alotta weight though.Thanks for the site.
    They do

If you go through the forums you will see many different versions and setups. One guys has his built into the ceiling and it drops down when he wants to use it

Another guy has built a whole viewing room new walls/ceiling/floors and screen around his projector

@ Spicker

Good luck They are coming out with lens sets that will accomodate 17" screens as well so you would theoretically get even better resolution from the projector

I am still deciding what kind to build because I cannot modify my house, but I want it to be out of the way. Thinking about a column version I saw so it sits behind the couch and projects over our head
    Peace of mind Findnot

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast