Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Coding is not essential with linux. I have never coding anything for it but i have used it to write a few programs in c++ and pascal.

the linux auto update feature will automatically keep you up to date so no need to compile anything.

But i would recommend delving a bit deeping into your system to edit a few configuration files.

Just remember to register at redhat for the free updates.

The only bad point with red hat is that have removed mp3 support so you will to download a mp3 codec. but there is so may sites offering the full xmms in rpm format that it will not take 2 mins to find it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    i cant install redhat 8.0

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Is linux just more complicated. I use winxp. Also are there way more incompatibilities in linux?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Linux for a user is not much diferent from windoz since you can use a user interface with win, if you like to try you can get the connectix ivirtual pc (this program sinulates a new PC within windoz), and install linux inside, you can get a free trial ,45 days ,here

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by JaVnI@14 April 2003 - 12:32
    Is linux just more complicated. I use winxp. Also are there way more incompatibilities in linux?
    In short, yes and yes.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    whats the difference between redhat and mandrake?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Is there a way to run windows programs in linux? Probably a supid question, but thought I'd ask anyway.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    if you're running linux, download wine... it can run some windows programs.

also, you can sometimes find linux versions of windows programs

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    imported_The__One
    Linux is the way to go, it may be more complicated then XP, but it's more stable (even tho XP is pretty stable), is practiclly hack-free , and it let's u delve into the source code and change things to your liking...but U need to know how to program to do that.....and best of all, LINUX is completely and absolutely FREE!! no money at all, U can have a comp with linux and most of the linux compatible proggs for free

But then again, most ppl don't pay for Windows either

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12