Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCI express or not?

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    i didnt buy a hp, my cousin did. I'm still saving up for a new comp. but for the moment i'm living at my aunts (summer, cuz it's closer to where i work durring summer). anyways, the mobo says PCI-X, and that is obviously not PCI-Express, sorry for the mix up.

@lynx: yes its the exact same board, i can see the solder points for where the PCI-Express slot would be, but its not there, just the soldering points. it looks as if the PCI-Express was "taken" out of it, but taht's not the case (it just looks like that). if i can get his webcam to work, ill take a quick pic of it w/ the case off.

right now i'm looking at some cheap 775 socket compatible mobo's that either has 8x agp or PCI-express.

and for the record, yes, it does definitely say PCI-X on top of the very first PCI slot.

edit: i shouldn't say i'm looking for a cheap mobo, it's his comp after all, so he's the one buying i'm just gonna end up telling him which one. he doesn't know shit about comps but oh well he asked for my help and since i'm staying there might as well. one thing though guys i should just say right now, i have never done a complete "motherboard to motherboard" transfer. is it hard? i mean taking everything from your old motherboard (cpu+heatsink, drives, psu, ram, cooling, etc.) and putting it in the new one. Hopefully it's easy (probably not.....)
    Last edited by cpt_azad; 08-17-2005 at 11:53 PM.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    i have never done a complete "motherboard to motherboard" transfer. is it hard? i mean taking everything from your old motherboard (cpu+heatsink, drives, psu, ram, cooling, etc.) and putting it in the new one. Hopefully it's easy (probably not.....)
    Yes, it is relatively simple.
    RTFM and you'll be fine.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Actually, I just looked at a similar pc, (another HP machine as it happens), 915G or 915GL chipset, no PCI-Express slot. Cheapskates. I don't know if this is an ASUS board or not, but it says PCIEx16 between the solder points. If that was poorly printed it could easily look like PCI-X16.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Ya lynx, that's exactly what it says on mine except there is no 16, right above the very first PCI slot and there are the solder points for the PCI-Express. Oh well, and ya clocker i'll def. RTFM lol. One thing guys, should i get one of those wrist band things that ground me (or make me non-static or w/e the fuck)? Or should I just stick to touching the side of the comp. every few minutes.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    Only time I've used an antistatic band is when I had an big assembly job which demanded we used one.

Best thing is if your PSU has a power switch on the back, or a switched supply socket. That way you can isolate it from the supply, but still have it connected to ground. Then you simply have to make contact with the case before you touch any components.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12