Thread: Windows XP Default Icons

orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Hello everyone. Alright, so a while back I had converted my Windows XP to a Os X look, with dock and everything, changed Icons and everything. After some time, Object dock stopped working, and even uninstalling and reinstalling would make it work, so I just screwed the whole Os X deal, and went back to regular XP classic theme, but when I changed my Icons back to "Default", they didnt, JPG icons/HTML/HTM/MPG (Just to name some) and tons of more icons didnt change, they kept to an icon set I had been using a long long time ago, and they wont change not matter what I did, I have had style XP installed for a long time, so I tried clearing the ICON cache, and then "Reverting back before Style XP", both of these did nothing. I tried applying a Windows XP default icon set to icon packager, and this also did nothing, so I finally uninstalled Icon packager, and rebooted, this also did nothing, now I am stuck with these messed up icons. When I try to change them back manually through folder options, they still dont change back. What I am asking is, can anyone help me get them back to normal and restore Windows Default Icons without reformatting, or using a System Restore?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Don't know if it will work never had to but , TweakUI powertoy from microsoft has an option to rebuild your explorer icons.

I googled found this mabye something in here ?

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    Last edited by peat moss; 08-17-2005 at 02:45 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Repair/replace this file using your WindowsXP installation CD:

%SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Don't know if it will work never had to but , TweakUI powertoy from microsoft has an option to rebuild your explorer icons.

I googled found this mabye something in here ?

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    I have the powertoys, very useful, but it does not restore it. I forgot to mention that, doesnt work.

Quote Originally Posted by Izagaia
    Repair/replace this file using your WindowsXP installation CD:

%SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll
    I bought this computer from Dell, so the installation disk is weird? And I might not be able to find it, but I do have a Bootable Win Xp Pro Corp that I, have.... CAn I use that?

EDIT: Oh, I thought you said "copy" from your installation cd, how do I do that with either of the CD's? Will the Win Pro Corp work?

EDIT 2: Now after not doing anything at all, randomly my HTM and HTML icons are default? Why did that happen? Oh well, less work!

EDIT 3: I found this. Will that work well? Or noo...?
    Last edited by orcutt989; 08-17-2005 at 04:04 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Zdravo?