Thread: Hey Guys Take Alook At This What U Thk?

I got win xp from a friend and install it on my second drive D" use it for a while decide to clean my hard drive D" so i format it but it did not completely take off the winxp every time i boot up my computer stop and wait for me to choose win98 or winxp. so i try to format it again to clean win xp off but still the same old thing happens on boot up 'it ask me to choose win98 or winxp i say what the hell I'll just reinstall win xp back on my drive D" anyway. Now when I try to reinstall,win xp, it tell me cant fine the file on the hard drive that it looking for. is it a bad winxp I though when you format an Hard drive it clean every thing off the hard drive. can any one tell me what's the world going on how can i get my computer stop ask me to choose the win xp when the drive already been formated.all i would like to do is reinstall win xp on my second drive"D.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    smellycat's Avatar Egalitarian BT Rep: +3
    When you first installed XP, XP changed the Master Boot Record (MBR) of your primary/master drive, which is drive c. This allowed you to dual-boot.
    When you formatted D:, you still left the MBR of drive C: unchanged, which is why you were getting the same dual-boot options.

I believe you've got two physical drives, and drive c: has no partitions?

On your C: drive, go into DOS, and type FDISK /mbr.
    ( I think you can do this from Windows, but if not , do it via floppy boot disk).
    This will restore the Master Boot Record of your C: drive to it's original state.
    Don't do it if C: is partitioned.

Format D:

Since you installed XP then the XP CD is OK.

Install XP if required.

Hope this clears the confusion.
    All my invites I give freely.

File sharing and invite sharing
    File trading and invite trading