Thread: I'm a noob to file sharing.

I'm just starting out to all this filesharing stuff. I've used kazaa in the past. but now i use Limewire and Ares. But i just got into bit-torrent and i like it better and i tried newsgroups but its way damn confusing . Do you have to pay for newsgroups or something . I didnt download anything with gotit program cause it limited me to 3 searches wtf ? so yeah im using bit torrent alot now i but i still use P2P stuff for music. But im not sure if im unlocking the full potential of it all. I've seen people say newsgroups can max out ur download speed but i dont know. Can someone clear this up for me? What programs are best for bit-torrent P2P and newsgroups??? Thx

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Yes, you have to pay for newsgroup services. Some think it's worth it, others don't.

Read this:
    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

As far as bit torrent goes, you have to find trackers with torrent files on them. Just google torrent and it will bring up more information than you can shake a stick at. As far as best bit torrent "client" (what you download a torrent file with) I personally use ABC, but you might like something else.

Read these also:
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f66-F...g__Guides.html
    Last edited by TylerGred; 08-17-2005 at 11:56 PM.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    oh and what is mIRC or IRC its a chatting program i think but how u download?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    For Bit torrent I like to use Bit Comet. It's easy to use and works great for me. Some people like Azureus but it eats all my ram when I use it on my laptop.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Check with your ISP, most of them provide a NNTP server (newsgroup) with your service.

That is your fastest possible speed too.

Shit
    http://x1.putfile.com/8/21409453323.jpg
    Oversize signature removed

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    You can't really depend on Newsgroups too much, most of the time they change what you can download. For example they would only share the latest releases and you'd have to snatch them quick. Or it takes weeks before someone sees your request to post up an older release. Just my two cents.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    My recommendation would be BitComet as well. If you've left Fastrack (Kazaa) and moved on the Ares and then bittorrent, you're no n00b. You're right where you need to be.

As far as newsgroups, I've never really felt the need. I can always get what I need from either Soulseek or by using torrents.

yo

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by takoshi
    You can't really depend on Newsgroups too much, most of the time they change what you can download. For example they would only share the latest releases and you'd have to snatch them quick. Or it takes weeks before someone sees your request to post up an older release. Just my two cents.

Newshosting ( a pay newserver) keeps files for 30 days, meaning you've got 30 days to find and download at full speed, and with so many groups and posters usually theres more than one copy of it on NG's anyway.