Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost AC adapter for Linksys BEFSR41

harrycary's Avatar Poster
    And my point was be careful you can fuck it up.
    Exactly.

What do you think a fuse or circuit breaker is there for?

To protect the load from getting too much current. (load=fan, tv, space heater, lights, a router, etc)

And how are fuses and circuit breakers rated? In amperes.

Exceed that amperage rating, the fuse blows, the breaker opens, current is cutoff thus protecting the load from further damage or overheating [and possibly starting a fire].

The router can be damaged by too many ampers of electrical current. (determined by the electrical engineers' design of the circuit including wiring, components' specs, etc.)

That's why my statements previously posted stand true.

I just can't see how this isn't easily understood.

You increase your amperes of current and you run the risk of damaging electrical components. And, given the sensitivity and low amperage power requirements of modern day electronics, this can be mighty important.

This is such fundamental laws of physics I'm literally astounded.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    At a constant 9v, the amperage draw is determined by the load. In this case the load is the router and thus another constant. That means that the amperage draw will remain the same even if the rating of the power adaptor is higher.

The power rating is not what it puts out but a maximum that it can provide. You don't reach that maximum if there is only a small load.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    lynx's Avatar .
    Of course, VB is quite correct.

The current rating of a power adapter is the maximum it can supply. If the load requires more current than that rating, it is said to be overloaded, which will cause voltage drop, excessive heating and possibly damage to the power adapter.

Harrycary, perhaps you should study a little more fundamental physics, in particular the work of Georg Simon Ohm and Joseph Henry.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Agreed.

On that point only, sadly it's not related to the initial posted question.

You still wouldn't want to exceed the requirements set forth by the engineers that designed the circuitry of the router in question. And I'm not speaking of the AC adapters' rated output. This fact I thought was understood from my very first post.

To think otherwise is just inane and goes completely against those very laws of physics and electrical properties I've posted. I thought providing simple examples/analogies would help you see that point.

May I suggest a Google search on the topic or a visit to Howstuffworks.com. Maybe then you'll find a better explanation as to why your thoughts on amperes and why exceeding a loads' design specs is so wrong as to be laughable. (not to mention dangerous)

Since you stated that this is okay to do in your earlier post I can't help but deduce that you're not fully understanding the laws of physics and electrical properties.

But you know, I'm tired of this. This for me, has become an exercise in futility. I just don't want other readers heeding your advice and end up overloading a piece of equipment with subsequent failure of said equipment.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary
    May I suggest a Google search on the topic or a visit to Howstuffworks.com. Maybe then you'll find a better explanation as to why your thoughts on amperes and why exceeding a loads' design specs is so wrong as to be laughable. (not to mention dangerous)
    Exactly my point, harrycary. The load is the key point here. You now seem to get the idea that exceeding the intended load is so wrong.

You just proved my point that you don't want to overload an under rated power adaptor.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    You idiot, I haven't been taking about the load requirements of the AC adapter but the load requirements of the router itself. You simply do not want to exceed that spec for fear of damaging it.

If it states on the router, 120v 1200mA, then you don't want to provide more than 120 volts or more than 1200mA.

Why can't you understand this simple, oh so simple explanation?

Regardless if you understand what voltage or amperage means. More is bad. Simple as that in this case.

When I made my first post, it had nothing to do with overloading an AC adapter. In fact, that doesn't make any sense at all in the context of the original question posted.

Alas, I believe you'll still think your right so I guess I'll await your obvious and probably predictable reply.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    lynx's Avatar .
    If the load requires a certain amount of current at a certain voltage, then as long as the power adapter supplies the required voltage and is capable supplying at least the required current it is impossible for the load to take more current.

If the adapter is capable of supplying twice as much current, the load will still only draw its stated requirement, the adapter cannot push more current through the load. However, the voltage and current are likely to be much more stable.

Consider a district power transformer, that is simply a very big power adapter. It supplies 120V (in USA) but it also supplies thousands of amps. If your scenario was correct then those thousands of amps would flow into the first device plugged into a socket. Does that happen? I don't think so.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Harry, it seems your wrong, or at least someone is confused, no need to act like a dick.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Wow, I am truly astounded at your ignorance Virtualbody1234.

AC current is measured in wattage. Not ampers.

And your thoughts on AC distribution couldn't be more wrong. Your local power company transmits thousand of volts of AC current. Through a series of substations and step-down transformers it is then dropped to approximately 120 volts as it enters the home.

But AC current isn't at issue here. DC current is. (and let me correct my last post, it should read 12V DC output and not 120)

DC current is measured in ampers. More ampers then a device is engineered for will damage it. There is no argument here.

But I'm tired of electrical 101. Believe what you want.

regards,

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    You need one with an output of 9V. AC, 1000 mA.
    Who said anything about DC current?

And harrycary. You should be sure of what you're talking about before calling people names. I have been respectful toward you thoughout this thread and you keep calling me stupid and ignorant. Please look into learning manners as well as the subject at hand.

I see that lynx agrees with me (and he knows his stuff) and no one agrees with you. I figure that electrical devices work the same in the UK as in Canada. Things must just work differently in Omaha.

Also take note that I didn't reply to your last post (you predicted I would) in the hopes that you would drop this already.
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 09-02-2005 at 03:38 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123