Thread: Transmitting video across the building

Hi
    I have a simple question but I am not sure what should be the title
    of this question.

Basically, imagine this:

There are 2 conference halls. I want to transmit the video of the
    conference session from one hall to the another.

What equiptment do i need to do this. I know I need a video camera
    to capture the session and a TV screen in the another hall to
    display the video. Apart from this what other equipment do i need??

How do I transfer / transmit the video??

Where can I learn more about this?

regards

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    I think it largely depends on the distance involved.

If the distance is less than 300 feet line-of-sight you could use a 2.4GHz range video repeater, something like this.

Since this is the same frequency range used by wireless networks it may be possible to extend that distance with the right antenna, but I'm not sure if it would be legal or what sort of reproduction you would get.

On the other hand you could possibly use a video capture card in a pc, transmit the image over a wireless network to a second pc, then replay the image. Real time encoding would certainly allow you to meet the required bit rates for high quality reproduction. A standard antenna would not give much distance, but better ones are certainly available for longer range and in this case there should be no loss of quality and it would definitely be legal.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    How do professional companies transmit videos in conferences......

Can't I connect a wire to my camcorder...and then connect the wire to a TV screen???

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    I assumed when you said "transmit" that using wires was not an option.

If you can use a wired connection then you simply need some sort of signal booster to get sufficient signal from source to destination.

Unless you've got lots of money to throw around I wouldn't worry about how the professionals do it, their equipment is almost certainly out of your price range for 2 simple reasons: firstly, they do this sort of thing time after time so the cost per event is lower; secondly, they charge a fortune.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    sorry,
    when I first posted the topic I want sure what title to use. so I just used the word "transmit".

If I dont use the word "transmit", how else would u describe what i want to do???????

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by reminder
    sorry,
    when I first posted the topic I want sure what title to use. so I just used the word "transmit".

If I dont use the word "transmit", how else would u describe what i want to do???????
    If you want to do it with cables, you'd probably say "pipe".

i.e. "I want to pipe the picture from one room to the other"...

"Transmit" normally implies that you want to send the signal through the air, without wires.