Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina...

manker's Avatar effendi
    I definitely didn't miss my own point, Hank.

However, you have. Completely.

Surely you can see what I'm getting at there.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #142
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Why does every thread in here turn policital , or black versus white .Why doesn't the new's show a white guy looting a store to provide for his family for a change ?

I know I would be fighting tooth and nail for anything I could get .

In hindsight if it as me struggling to support my family, look out give me a gun your dead if you stand in my way. You can do what you what to me but don't fuck with my family . I'm sure thats how many feel when the chips are played.
    Last edited by peat moss; 09-05-2005 at 05:11 AM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #143
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

I do Manker. People here act like hurricanes are something new and are quick to point fingers at Bush. They act like he’s been the only President that the U.S. has had and every little thing that goes wrong is his fault.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #144
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

I do Manker. People here act like hurricanes are something new and are quick to point fingers at Bush. They act like he’s been the only President that the U.S. has had and every little thing that goes wrong is his fault.
    people warned bush and had a plan to do the job, he slashed the budget for researching and fixing the levees several times. it is his fault.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #145
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    I just sent 200.00 dollars from my pay, (which was 515.00 dollars) for disaster relief.
    My 19 year old sister is in Louisiana helping with relief efforts.

Their are many, who are doing something other than using a horrible situation
    for a soapbox, to spout their tired and tedious personal agendas.

Shame, on those who think words speak louder than actions.

bd

6. The Drawing Room   -   #146
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherdoobie
    I just sent 200.00 dollars from my pay, (which was 515.00 dollars) for disaster relief.

bd
    that's very good of you.

government is supposed to protect the people though. when there's a catastrophic failure that people have been warning about years and could have been prevented. to not take the government to task about this is ignorant, dangerous and stupid.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #147
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherdoobie

bd
    that's very good of you.

government is supposed to protect the people though. when there's a catastrophic failure that people have been warning about years and could have been prevented. to not take the government to task about this is ignorant, dangerous and stupid.
    I vote my conscience, my wallet and time are reserved for the practical.
    Now, is not the time to debate the stupidity of our leadership.

Now...is the time for action.

Peace bd

8. The Drawing Room   -   #148
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    There will be a need for those in authority to be called to account after this is all cleared up, there is also a need for U.S. society as a whole to comprehend what the collective failure shows about the American way of life. So I'm not going to just blame Bush...

my conscience, my wallet
    Did the latter help ease the former?
    Last edited by Withcheese; 09-05-2005 at 08:19 AM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #149
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    There will be a need for those in authority to be called to account after this is all cleared up, there is also a need for U.S. society as a whole to comprehend what the collective failure shows about the American way of life. So I'm not going to just blame Bush...
    I agree with you up until the comma. What follows is not aimed at you, but at what I see happening throughout any thread that deals with America when something go's wrong.

I know I will not say this clearly enough, but......

It seems as if the American public is being held to higher/different standards then the European population.

As I said somewhere in another thread, it is one thing to blame our leaders for particular shortcomings, but you cannot neccessarily blame the population for it as well. I understand we have to be held somewhat accountable because we put the politicians in their jobs in the first place.

I sort of recall another country somewhere off in Europe (one of those small floating countries) that has been giving the US quite a lot of support in areas that its own population claims to not support. How is it that the population does not get held up to the spotlight when things go wrong as well?

After all, the leadership of the small floating country has chosen to support us and by extension (and the fact that the population put them there) is just as at fault as us.

Yeah, I know that the support above is given in another separate situation, but think about what has just happened.

The small floating country may say "but look how we handled the crisis of terrorist attacks in our country. We were right there taking care of bussiness from the very beginning."

Think about what it would have been like if it had covered the whole of your country. The area that this took place in is a large as many countries. Would the population need to be held accountable for all the mistakes perceived or actual that led to more deaths then thought unavoidable because the infrastructure was not up to par in handling such a crisis?

I am not saying that things have gone smoothly. I also am not saying there is no need to look into many issues that have come up as a result of this event. But to continuously treat individuals as if they personally had a hand in the problem and should feel guilty is wrong. To say someone is trying to ease their concience by giving some of their money to try and help is just plain dumb.

I too hope this gets looked into fully and that we make some big changes in how we do things. I said so in the poll I started. We need to look at doing things differently and maybe look at the need to move people back to their homes when this is all over or move them elsewhere.

As Everose said, we have spent a lot of money/resources on rebuilding areas that have had several hurricanes just last year. She asks if it was a mistake to spend the money there or should the levies have been shored up. It is a big decision and apparently the government took a gamble that the levies would be ok for now.

But since they are not, is it right to spend the money it is going to take to rebuild to an even better state of safety, or should we focus some of that on relocation and the rest on making other areas not yet hit by disaster safer.

A lot of things to look into and decide, but place blame where it belongs when this is over and has been fully looked into.
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #150
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    The thing about the money is really a "what's the point". As far as I am aware there is no shortage of funds to deal with the situation, so why would someone send around 40% of their income. How is it supposed to help if there's plenty of money anyway.

Jebus then seems to conjecture that the donation was to ease the chaps own conscience, to make him feel better, rather than any actual assistance it may provide.

It seems a reasonable point to make, I couldn't possibly comment.

Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast