Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: pretty random question

lynx's Avatar .
    Jonno's hypothesis about aliens is extremely unlikely, I think he would agree with that.

However, it isn't a yes/no type of question and to suggest it is impossible is obviously ridiculous.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Is that okay.
    Yes, I'm simply correcting you. Is that ok?

@JP ....... Why does it make them more advanced?
    I could get further in a diesel car than a petrol car on 1 tank of fuel, it's nothing to do with technology, just a different source/type of fuel no?

Ahhhhh monday mornings with JP and Manky........glad I don't work on mondays, I'd miss this

@Linx.... Why is it unlikely? no one seems to be able to give me an answer other than "It can't happen cos if they get here first then they better"
    I've given reason to opose that argument, I'm yet to hear plausable reason against it.

Jonno
    Last edited by Jon L. Obscene; 08-29-2005 at 09:51 AM.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    No, I'm basing my opinion on open mindedness, limitless possibilities, you can't tell me that Jupiter or Mars have the same natural resources as us?

You cannot dissprove my theory, I cannot dissprove yours, but I'm open minded enough to see it's possible that we are'nt quite as slow and stupid as we make out........or as the movies make us out to be.

I'll try and give you an example, think of it like I'm a better guitarist than my sister, yet she can play piano better than me,she can read music but can't memorize, I can't read music but once learnt I don't need to read it. we are both as good as eachother yet in different fields, so who is more advanced?

Same with us and aliens, we maybe more civilized, better advances in medicines, culture.
    Look at Starship Troopers.......those aliens had no technological weaponry, it was all natural......you see my point? just cos they reached us does'nt make them more advanced, yes it's possible, but it's also possible they are less advanced but luckier with natural resources etc.

Jonno
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Is that okay.
    Yes, I'm simply correcting you. Is that ok?
    Mais oui.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

5. Lounge   -   #35
    I take it by that you can't answer me, so instead of saying nothing you thought "I'll just laugh, that way everyone will think I know better"

118...........got your numbA!

Jonno

6. Lounge   -   #36
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I take it by that you can't answer me, so instead of saying nothing you thought "I'll just laugh, that way everyone will think I know better"

118...........got your numbA!

Jonno
    Sorry, I laugh each time someone makes a Starship Troopers reference in a discussion about science.

I thought it appropriate to reflect this involuntary spasm with a :lol: smiley.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    I thought it appropriate to reflect this involuntary spasm with a :lol: smiley.
    I was using it as an example, since most of the publics info and opinions on alien life come from science fiction, ie: movies/books

btw, quite impressed how you thought to use color code to stop the lol smilie activating *aplauds*

Jonno

8. Lounge   -   #38
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    [
    @JP ....... Why does it make them more advanced?
    I could get further in a diesel car than a petrol car on 1 tank of fuel, it's nothing to do with technology, just a different source/type of fuel no?
    The analogy is deeply flawed.

You would be better comparing a bicycle to a Ferrari. Can you acept that the Ferrari is more technologically advanced. That is not to say it is better (in some sort of judgemental way) just that it is more capabe, more advanced (in a technology type way).

Or

Are you more technologically advanced than a tribesman living in a rainforest in South America, who has never experienced anything outside of his village. Of course you are. Not just because you have access to petrol, but because you have developed a technology to use it.

He may have access to knowledge that you do not, however it is beyond question that your technology is more advanced than his.

So it is possible, because of your technology, that you can go and see him. He however does not even know that you exist. Even if he did, how would he go about visiting you (using only his own technology). If nothing else the oceans would cause him a major problem.

Analogies in action, by ICI

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    The analogy is deeply flawed.

You would be better comparing a bicycle to a Ferrari. Can you acept that the Ferrari is more technologically advanced. That is not to say it is better (in some sort of judgemental way) just that it is more capabe, more advanced (in a technology type way).
    No, I thought of saying that, but thats a technological difference, wheras petrol and deisel are relatively the same in tech terms.
    I see what you're saying, but finding an analogy to compare with this subject we can only use what we know, which is stuff from our planet/lives.

Are you more technologically advanced than a tribesman living in a rainforest in South America, who has never experienced anything outside of his village. Of course you are. Not just because you have access to petrol, but because you have developed a technology to use it.

He may have access to knowledge that you do not, however it is beyond question that your technology is more advanced than his.
    Again, you are using an analogy of one tribesman to another both with the same resources, one advanced more than the other for some reason.

So it is possible, because of your technology, that you can go and see him. He however does not even know that you exist. Even if he did, how would he go about visiting you (using only his own technology). If nothing else the oceans would cause him a major problem.
    You are still not thinking alien, I will say it again, IF we had a natural resource of fuel which lasted a thousand times longer than what we have on this planet, and we lived longer and needed less or no food, then we could and would explore the universe.

To use your type of analogy it's like a Honda c90 compared to a cbr900, they both use the same fuel, yet the cbr is more technologically advanced no?
    Having said that I could get a lot futher on a tank of fuel on the c90 than the cbr. So which is more advanced? the cbr is faster and handles better but in terms of exploration the c90 would get me further if only 1 full tank of fuel was used.

Jonno

10. Lounge   -   #40
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I'm not going to bother, you're being obtuse and it's tired. Either that or you don't bother reading what other people write.

I'm ashamed to say that I tried to explain it again, fortunately I saw sense and deleted it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast