Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want Blue-Ray?

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Now available for USA.

Be the first to own one (a bit expensive for me).

eBay item:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Javanni, Inc.
    However, this unit ships from our warehouse in Japan and does not include English operating instructions (this makes the new technology even more fun!)
    Really?
    OK.

. All on-screen menu text is in Japanese, but don't let that hold you back.

Right...just learn Japanese.

Translation can be a breeze by visiting your local library or college campus where you'll be sure to find willing participants to help you translate major functions in the included operation manual.
    Oh, no doubt.
    Volunteers are lining up already.

Be the first on the block to capture video in Blu-Ray format.
    But don't capture too much cause we only give you one disk and there aren't any more.
    Think I'll just hang on to my $4k and stick sharp objects in my eye.
    Last edited by clocker; 08-29-2005 at 03:09 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    $4K? Is that with or without vasoline?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I'll give you £3 and a half eaten apple.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Anyone want Blue-Ray?
    i dunno. Sony's home audio/video formats really don't have a very good history. they've all flopped, in fact. Betamax, MiniDisc, etc. i guess people prefer formats that are supported by a wide range of manufacturers, rather than marketed wholly (or almost wholly) by Sony.

prolly the one thing that could get me interested in Blu-Ray: Sony has bought the MGM movie catalogue, which has grown to include a ton of movies that weren't originally produced by MGM... lots of independent b-movies, "cult" movies, genre movies, etc. if Sony were to keep all of the MGM stuff strictly as Blu-Ray exclusives, then i might (begrudgingly) reconsider.

uh yeah... wouldn't pay $3875 for a video player in any case. even if it weren't a bug-ridden, possibly-defective first-generation piece of Sony junk.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 08-30-2005 at 01:26 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    im just gonna wait for years till the price comes down like i did for cd burners and dvd burners

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    The shipping itself is a joke...

Shipping costs: US $262.00 - Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service (within United States )

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    I don't want blue ray when I have to bend over to pay for it...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Anyone want Blue-Ray?
    i dunno. Sony's home audio/video formats really don't have a very good history. they've all flopped, in fact. Betamax, MiniDisc, etc. i guess people prefer formats that are supported by a wide range of manufacturers, rather than marketed wholly (or almost wholly) by Sony.

prolly the one thing that could get me interested in Blu-Ray: Sony has bought the MGM movie catalogue, which has grown to include a ton of movies that weren't originally produced by MGM... lots of independent b-movies, "cult" movies, genre movies, etc. if Sony were to keep all of the MGM stuff strictly as Blu-Ray exclusives, then i might (begrudgingly) reconsider.

uh yeah... wouldn't pay $3875 for a video player in any case. even if it weren't a bug-ridden, possibly-defective first-generation piece of Sony junk.
    Sony might have a winner with this one though.

The PS3 will put a Blu-Ray machine in many households. I thought Blu-Ray was intrinsically a recordable format. So how is it I keep hearing Blu-Ray disc player for the PS3?

Blu-Ray also is backed by more movie studios and holds more data.

HD-DVD has a more familiar name and the manufacturing process is easier to upgrade from DVD.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Sony might have a winner with this one though.

The PS3 will put a Blu-Ray machine in many households. I thought Blu-Ray was intrinsically a recordable format. So how is it I keep hearing Blu-Ray disc player for the PS3?

Blu-Ray also is backed by more movie studios and holds more data.

HD-DVD has a more familiar name and the manufacturing process is easier to upgrade from DVD.
    i'll have to poke around and look at some news about studio support. last time i checked, it was the other way around and HD-DVD had more studios pledging support than Blu-Ray did. it's been a while though, so maybe that tide has changed.

manufacturing process, exactly. which will translate, to some degree, to the retail price of the stuff. neverminding the horror stories about broken Playstations and the unfortunate fact that the first iteration of any new electronic gadget is bound to have its share of bugs or defects, i think Sony's electronics are generally well-made. not just specs, but performance, quality of physical contruction, how durable it is. yet Sony products also tend to be a bit overpriced even after the cost of manufacturing a technology comes down. the Blu-Ray technical specs may be somewhat superior to HD-DVD, but even so, the two formats are similar-ish enough that i figure the cheaper one will win. people aren't going to be terribly concerned with the "30GB vs 50GB" issue if it means a huge difference in prices. whichever format offers cheaper players and cheaper discs, that'll prolly be the winner (since they're both sure to deliver perfectly adequate high-def video quality).

the strength of the anti-copy protections might have an effect too. we've never seen a video format get rejected by the market on the basis of anti-copy protection, but then those protections have almost always been cracked. if one of these new formats has a totally uncrackable anti-copy scheme, that could be the day we find out just how strongly the average customers feel about the ability to make backups.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 08-31-2005 at 07:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast