Thread: Hollywood, Microsoft align on new Windows

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    As Microsoft readies the next version of its Windows operating system, called Vista, the software giant is building in unprecedented levels of safeguards against video piracy.

For the first time, the Windows operating system will wall off some audio and video processes almost completely from users and outside programmers, in hopes of making them harder for hackers to reach. The company is establishing digital security checks that could even shut off a computer's connections to some monitors or televisions if antipiracy procedures that stop high-quality video copying aren't in place.

In short, the company is bending over backward--and investing considerable technological resources--to make sure Hollywood studios are happy with the next version of Windows, which is expected to ship on new PCs by late 2006. Microsoft believes it has to make nice with the entertainment industry if the PC is going to form the center of new digital home networks, which could allow such new features as streaming high-definition movies around the home.

Source: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5844393.html
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 09-03-2005 at 10:24 AM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    so cracking or boycotting it?
    Last edited by GepperRankins; 08-31-2005 at 01:55 AM.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'll go with # 1 please and thank you .

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    This cannot be a smart move from Microsoft. This just gives people a good reason to use Linux.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Once again, we let Corporate American control our daily lives and surrender our rights.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    If this happens in any real way and isnt broken early on or easily it will just open the door for more attention to alternate os that are available for those that arent to be driven like sheep. I would think if they put this in place and it is broken Im sure there will be updates to undo the done. I dont quite understand how they concieve that they can shovel shit at us while we pay for it. The options will grow quickly for those that care and for those that dont thats their loss if it comes to be...