Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Correcting a parent reguarding their own child

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gemby!
    im afraid i agree with the father - if you dont let the kid know how serious that could've been then they are just gonna be feckless again dam kids

and you should know never to mention to a parent ANYTHING that might be classed as giving parenting tips. its just a golden rule.....unless its family, then you can put it in a nicer way.
    ......especially 'cause Jonno was flat out wrong.

Liberal attitudes towards parenting don't always work.

You are trying save a child's life and it's not always a nice, easygoing job.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    this thread reminds me of supernanny
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    not true - he acted out of good intentions
    (better than bad intentions no?)
    Last edited by 15%; 09-01-2005 at 01:14 PM.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%
    Why does that matter?

It was none of his business.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by gemby!
    this thread reminds me of supernanny
    Sometimes I hate and like that show 'cause the parents are so stupid that it's sickening and entertaining at the same time.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    Why does that matter?

you state
    -why you so fatalistically tautological?
    you stated in your first post " You did not do the right thing entirely." (why the sudden change of condemning afterwards?)
    it took this entire thread to come to the conclusion that one should not tell parents how to bring up their kids _ ontop of which Jonno placed this question with the knowledge that he may have been wrong and was hence asking for advice about it (quote jonno)"spose I should have kept quiet really." - and you end with contempt
    Why does it matter? that his intentions where ment well?
    Jonno could have also immediatly screamed at the guy for letting the kid run over the street - his good intentions came merelly from the awareness that he didnt kill the kid and was surprised at the agression towards the child by papa
    "ease up man there's no need, no one hurt, you ain't gotta upset her more"
    chillin is always better than panicking

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Why does that matter?

you state
    -why you so fatalistically tautological?
    you stated in your first post " You did not do the right thing entirely." (why the sudden change of condemning afterwards?)
    it took this entire thread to come to the conclusion that one should not tell parents how to bring up their kids _ ontop of which Jonno placed this question with the knowledge that he may have been wrong and was hence asking for advice about it (quote jonno)"spose I should have kept quiet really." - and you end with contempt
    Why does it matter? that his intentions where ment well?
    Jonno could have also immediatly screamed at the guy for letting the kid run over the street - his good intentions came merelly from the awareness that he didnt kill the kid and was surprised at the agression towards the child by papa
    "ease up man there's no need, no one hurt, you ain't gotta upset her more"
    chillin is always better than panicking
    Flat out wrong refers to him questioning the parent.

Not wrong entirely refers to him asking if the kid was ok. Bad choice in using entirely since his Jonno's original question referred to his "parental statement".

I would have actually understood the agression towards the parent more than his liberal attitude toward child rearing (as evidenced in the fact that he wasn't holing the child's hand).

Jonno (and others) have the parent as being a dickhead for bullshit reasons.

At least I agree he's a dickhead.

The parent was right to light into his kid and bystanders needed to STFU while he disciplined HIS kid.
    Last edited by Busyman; 09-01-2005 at 03:05 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Thank you Z, yes I always have good intentions, I'm only human and I reacted to a situation, simply because some people think I was wrong to do so does'nt actually mean I was.
    I asked the question because I wanted to know what others thought and respect the opinion of the people who replied.

I understand what Nik, Sara and Busyman have said, in hiensight maybe I should have just left it at making sure everyone was ok, but I'm a little quick tempered lately so I reacted the way I did, thats me.The guy reacted agressivly out of fear, I reacted calmly out of concern, THEN reacted agressivly out of my natural instinct to protect.
    As Z said everyone seems to be forgetting the fact that had I actually hit her not only would I have moral issues and massive guilt trips I probably could not have handled, but I could have also been charged for Manslaughter as we have no J-walking laws here, you hit a pedestrian it's your fault basically. So my arguement is still why is it ok for him to lose it yet I did'nt?
    He reacted agressivly, like I've said, he did'nt just shout, my dad used to growel at me when I was caught breaking in a house or smoking etc,not when he'd nearly lost me, scared the hell out of me but just made me think of ways not to get caught, it was simply trying to get me to not do bad things through threatening me, shout yeah but you guys really are not getting the point that this guy did not simply shout, ffs he made several people jump.

I understand a parent reacting by voice, shouting if you're that way inclined, and yes I may have been wrong to butt in, but I don't like to see that kind of behaviour, not towards kids, especially not in public, I still see no need, I've told kids things and they've listend, I've stopped kids crying, my little brother is a little shit but I don't shout at them, I deal with it differently and have several times calmed down a kid or stopped a kid being naughty when the parent could'nt, I don't believe in agressive reactions towards kids, learning by force is not the way, they're kids not soldiers,they tried that with me and look what happend, I rebel against any and all orders, ask me, yes, tell me, no.
    Yes sometimes a kid needs shouting at to get attention as has been said and I don't deny that, but in that situation I dissagree, if you find an adult in shock do you shout at them? No, it's medically wrong for a start.
    If that little girl had been one of your mates stepped out in the road (cos adults do that too, I know I have) and your mate was scared shitless by nearly being squashed, how would you react? shout at them? no I don't think so. Yes an adult knows better and it's accidental or stupid if they step out in the road, and yes a child needs to learn but would'nt it be better to make sure that child is ok then imediately take them to a safe place and explain what could have happend, you can insight the correct kind of fear into a child without shouting, personally I think shoutin has an adverse effect, the kid concentrates on the fact you're shouting, not what you're actually saying. Do you guys remember being shouted at as a kid? do you remember what it was about?........and do you remember having a talking to by your parents and them telling you things that scared you?

Yes everyone is different and there's no doubt in my mind that the people posting in here who are parents are extremely good parents, no doubt whatsoever. It's just I would do things differently I think.

As to the question of whether or not I done right in butting in.
    Well morally I think yes because I was standing up for the little girl.
    And also morally but in a different way I should'nt have undermined the fathers authority with his child.
    I doubt very much if I done anything except make him more angry, as JP said it's possible he took that out on her in some way and that isn't sitting very well with me that I may have inadvertantly made that little girls night worse, it's possible he would have just shouted and that would be that, it's also possible he shouted and punished in some way the little girl for my actions.

In my opinion did I do right?

I'm not sure, I don't think I should have said anything, so I guess no I did'nt do right.
    But my intentions and reaction was to protect the little girl, thats just the way I am.

Jonno

9. Lounge   -   #29
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    But my intentions and reaction was to protect the little girl, thats just the way I am
    Won't someone think of the children :crying: :wringhands:

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    The world would be one hell of a boring and paranoid place if we did not speak our opinions, whether right or wrong.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast