Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Supply -5v reading 3.5v????

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    lol don't use this against me. u can do whatever u feel necessary. i'm just trying to say that thermaltake psu's are tough, based on my experiences with them. u can feel free to exchange it. maybe this one is faulty.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by abu_has_the_power
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Original PSU = no problem.
    Raidmax PSU = no problem.
    Thermaltake PSU = voltage alarm.

Conclusion - Thermaltake PSU is faulty.

According to Abu's logic, you can expect the Thermaltake PSU to be just as faulty in 2 years time. Aren't you lucky.

my logic is that sometimes bizarre and off-the-charts readings doesn't always mean the psu is busted. it could just be a software compatibility problem with that psu or something like that.
    Abu, your logic is faulty.

There can't be a software compatibility with "that psu", all it is measuring is voltage, there are no special "Thermaltake voltages". It is ok for 2 other psu's but not the Thermaltake one, there is only one possible conclusion.

@JunkBarMan, since we don't know where you got this psu or what alternatives your outlet offers it is a little difficult to advise you. Personally I wouldn't have gone near a Thermaltake psu in the first place, there are better, quieter ones for the same money, but I believe (as Abu has pointed out ) they are generally fairly reliable so you've probably just got a bad one.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    I took the psu back today to the Micro Center where I live, they did a quick check on it, and it indeed was faulty. They didn't have any more instock, not sure if this was a coincidence or not, but I picked up the Thermaltake TR2-430W Silent Power Supply instead.

This supply seems to have the features I need for my later upgrade and was a lot cheaper.

Problem is solved for me, thanks for all the help guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12