Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows install restore disc

I need some help i am tring to install windows home with my restore disc,it installs ok but when i get to the screen that says "name your computer" and i press next or skip it hangs and wont do anything. is there any thing i can do to fix this,i think its in the cds but how do i fix it could i use somthing like cdmage on it or somthing better. Thank you in advance, i would really like to be legal again

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Simply choose a name for your PC. And move on.

This is the way XP operates. It uses that name to identify itself within your own "home network" or "work group". Even if it is the only computer within that network. You cannot bypass this feature.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thank you for the quick reply but what i am saying is that it hangs when i press next or skip i have left it hanging for about an hour and i have tried to restore it about ten times

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Are you putting in a name as Izagaia suggests , if so have you tryed cleaning the cd or burning a new copy ?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Once a name is chosen, XP can actually "hang" for several minutes as it creates the necessary files, associating itself with your network and so on. I suppose your hardware configuration will play an important role as well in this. Older, less powerful processors/systems and the such would naturally slow things down somewhat I would imagine.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    ya i did put in the name i also let it hang for about an hour . my computer is a amd xp 2800.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Mabey try a format and reinstall ? Sorry but I never liked those restore disks , crappy programs they want to install and the drivers you can get newer ones on the net .

I'm going to get flamed for this but when I have this problem or one like it ,I use an old Win98 floppy disk and Fdisk , format c:/ u then boot from cd . Do you have a partion on your hard drive that lets you restore on boot ? That would kill it tho , so you have to be careful. But there's a lot of smart fellows on this forum to guide you so don't sweat over it .

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by pookie
    ya i did put in the name i also let it hang for about an hour . my computer is a amd xp 2800.
    Your particular setup should have had XP on its way in under thirty seconds then. That being the case, I would abort using any "repair" functions of the disk and instead option for a "destructive disk recovery" operation which will wipe your current C:\ partition clean and re-install the full OEM version of your operating system and any factory pre-installed softwares/drivers.

You will want to do this by inserting the CD into your main optical drive and rebooting. Upon reboot, your system should enter into it's recovery mode and present the necessary options.

Of course, if that is what you were attempting to do in the first place, then your recovery disk or D:\ partition could very well be corrupted in some way.
    You may have to resort to creating a full set of recovery disks (usually up to six disks) for your system if possible and repairing that partition before your recovery disk will work as intended once more. Most OEM-based systems will give you some means to create these disks. However some require that you actually purchase them for an additional cost.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    thanks for all the help, i have tried so many things and none of them worked. i guess im going to somehow get the image of the cd then see if i can find some program to see if i can fix it. its been a long 3 days . does anyone know a program like that please let me know, thank you

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    With a name like pookie how can someone not want to help .

But I'm confused what do you mean your image on the cd ? Are you talking about a ISO , and have you tryed another cd ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast