Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Manker or someone of similar knowledge

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    Ok this bank holiday thing, my w/e is usually monday and tuesday, I only worked one of those days if I was needed.......I'm not entitled to pay for bank holidays am I?

Jonno
    If you're usually off on Mondays then bank holidays don't come into the equation. You've no need to subtract them from your entitlement.

However, employment law is horrible because of it's subjectiveness. I am by no means an expert in its intricacies. In this case particularly so since I'm not aware of your exact circumstances.

http://www.acas.org.uk/contact/contact_us.html

I don't want to tell you something that opens up a pwnage window for your boss' accountant who will have your details in front of him or her. Give ACAS a bell, it's free and they'll be able to advise you more properly.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    I think I'm just gonna demmand he gives me a grand and done with it

Oh yeah, nother question, remember I asked about still getting tax returns?
    You said I will for a couple of years right? does that mean I'm still self employed?

If so I'm gonna write the fucker a bill for the work I done but only got paid a third of the agreed price.
    He has nothing in writing to say a price, no quote nor estimate, I on the other hand have about 2000 witnesses to say I done the work.

Jonno

3. Lounge   -   #33
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Have you left your job Jonno.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I think I'm just gonna demmand he gives me a grand and done with it

Oh yeah, nother question, remember I asked about still getting tax returns?
    You said I will for a couple of years right? does that mean I'm still self employed?

If so I'm gonna write the fucker a bill for the work I done but only got paid a third of the agreed price.
    He has nothing in writing to say a price, no quote nor estimate, I on the other hand have about 2000 witnesses to say I done the work.

Jonno
    Yes, you can still do work on a self-employed basis - provided your customer knew of the arrangement.

What you propose is dishonest at best.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Yes mate, unfortunately walked out in temper on thursday

Ok you guys have little info here about this, the shop I worked at had a conversion, new shelves, tills, cielings, cladding on walls etc, the builders were straight from hell and finished nothing (which of course annoyed me having been in the trade), the floor was a complete fuck up, the boss wanted ceramic tiles and the builders turned up with vynil.
    They latexed the floor..........well, it looked like an arial view of the alps
    The boss is spineless and has no knowledge of anything cept shops so he asked if I could help out, I argued with the builders that they fucked the floor up, get this "Jon, you know as well as me you latex a floor and sand it level the next day"
    To which I replied "bollocks, the clue is in the title , SELF LEVELING latex floor compound"
    Anyway after a couple of weeks of the shop being 3/4's empty cos of these builders the boss asked me for the 4th time if I'd do the floor (I kept turning it down cos I knew it would go bad when it comes to paying)
    I agreed eventually, spent 5 days 9am-1am laying this floor and fixing what the builders had fucked up, me and another lad agreed £700 each cash to do the work.
    The work was done, it looks fine.........when it came to paying the boss said "Oh no you said £700 altogether" , so more arguments ensued and we eventually settled on £1000.
    He paid a week later...........£700.
    That £700 was split, I got £250, Azz got £250, Azz's bro got£125 and a lad who helped a bit I gave £75.
    We hired a tile cutter on my fathers jewson account, the doepy twat did'nt take it back when I told him, so the bill for that was £176.08.
    When I asked the boss for the money he told me that it was my bill and included in the price.
    I said "So I got £250 for the floor, minus £176.08 leaves me £73.92 for laying 90square meters of tiled flooring and dissmantling/reassembling shelving etc"
    He simply said "Yes"
    Told me I should get half off Azz (who's just had a baby and moved into a new house and who also left the shop for similar reasons)
    This is not even mentioning the fact that I saved him £1500 on the tiles AND stopped the builders taking him to court over money owed for vynil tiles and a thousand other things I done for him and the good of the staff and business free of charge in my own free time.

Add all that to the contents of my letter of resignation and I think you can sorta see why I'm a bit pissed off with him.

Jonno

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Yes, you can still do work on a self-employed basis - provided your customer knew of the arrangement.

How is it dishonest? he never asked for a written quote (read above post), he ripped me off.

If someone wants work doing and they don't ask for a written quote they cannot then dispute the price, even if they have a written estimate, in order for them to dispute the price they have to have a written "Quote".

Am I correct?

Jonno

7. Lounge   -   #37
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Yes mate, unfortunately walked out in temper on thursday

Ok you guys have little info here about this, the shop I worked at had a conversion, new shelves, tills, cielings, cladding on walls etc, the builders were straight from hell and finished nothing (which of course annoyed me having been in the trade), the floor was a complete fuck up, the boss wanted ceramic tiles and the builders turned up with vynil.
    They latexed the floor..........well, it looked like an arial view of the alps
    The boss is spineless and has no knowledge of anything cept shops so he asked if I could help out, I argued with the builders that they fucked the floor up, get this "Jon, you know as well as me you latex a floor and sand it level the next day"
    To which I replied "bollocks, the clue is in the title , SELF LEVELING latex floor compound"
    Anyway after a couple of weeks of the shop being 3/4's empty cos of these builders the boss asked me for the 4th time if I'd do the floor (I kept turning it down cos I knew it would go bad when it comes to paying)
    I agreed eventually, spent 5 days 9am-1am laying this floor and fixing what the builders had fucked up, me and another lad agreed £700 each cash to do the work.
    The work was done, it looks fine.........when it came to paying the boss said "Oh no you said £700 altogether" , so more arguments ensued and we eventually settled on £1000.
    He paid a week later...........£700.
    That £700 was split, I got £250, Azz got £250, Azz's bro got£125 and a lad who helped a bit I gave £75.
    We hired a tile cutter on my fathers jewson account, the doepy twat did'nt take it back when I told him, so the bill for that was £176.08.
    When I asked the boss for the money he told me that it was my bill and included in the price.
    I said "So I got £250 for the floor, minus £176.08 leaves me £73.92 for laying 90square meters of tiled flooring and dissmantling/reassembling shelving etc"
    He simply said "Yes"
    Told me I should get half off Azz (who's just had a baby and moved into a new house and who also left the shop for similar reasons)
    This is not even mentioning the fact that I saved him £1500 on the tiles AND stopped the builders taking him to court over money owed for vynil tiles and a thousand other things I done for him and the good of the staff and business free of charge in my own free time.

Add all that to the contents of my letter of resignation and I think you can sorta see why I'm a bit pissed off with him.

Jonno
    You might be good at laying floors, but I can see why you're not working for yourself anymore.

Mate, you've gotta be more precise with people and let them know exactly what you're prepared to do and how much you'll get paid. You need to put this in writing and get it agreed by all parties.

It's all very well to call your boss a bar-steward and blame your Dad for costing you money by not taking the tool back but, at the end of the day, you were organising the job and the buck stops squarely with you.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    No no, you've read that wrong or I typed it wrong, I was'nt blaming my dad, I was balmming my ex-boss, I wanted to take it back, he told me he would do it, I found it 2 weeks later buried under stock.
    Also it was a cash job I done as a favour.

Had I have been in business and done it properly it would have cost him close to £3000 and I'd have made a good £500 on the supply of tiles.

Jesus how the hell can you say I'm in the wrong??? I tried to help and do someone a favour and he fucked me over quite clearly.
    And the reason I don't work for myself anymore is cos I don't enjoy the job, plain and simple so don't be taking the piss out of the way I ran my business, I made money and rarely had payment problems cos most people LISTEN to what their told.
    And besides, it's not upto the builder to offer a written quote, it's upto the customer to ask for one as you have to pay for an estimator to work it out acurately.

Jonno

9. Lounge   -   #39
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

How is it dishonest? he never asked for a written quote (read above post), he ripped me off.

If someone wants work doing and they don't ask for a written quote they cannot then dispute the price, even if they have a written estimate, in order for them to dispute the price they have to have a written "Quote".

Am I correct?

Jonno
    Jon, it's over, you've walked away. The best thing to do now is to let it go. It's going to cause you more grief to get the money from him than it will to leave it be, perhaps even so far as a trip to court to get him to pay up - and even then, without a quote as proof of what was agreed upon, you don't have any proof. It's your word against his. You have witnesses that you completed the work, but do you have witnesses to the conversation when the price of the work was agreed upon?

I realize that it's a lot of money, and I understand how much that money is needed, believe me I do. But at some point you have to realize how futile it is to continue. You're causing yourself more headaches than it's worth.

Besides, I've already offered you a job.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    manker's Avatar effendi
    No no, you've read that wrong or I typed it wrong, I was'nt blaming my dad, I was balmming my ex-boss, I wanted to take it back, he told me he would do it, I found it 2 weeks later buried under stock.
    Also it was a cash job I done as a favour.

Had I have been in business and done it properly it would have cost him close to £3000 and I'd have made a good £500 on the supply of tiles.

Jesus how the hell can you say I'm in the wrong??? I tried to help and do someone a favour and he fucked me over quite clearly.
    And the reason I don't work for myself anymore is cos I don't enjoy the job, plain and simple so don't be taking the piss out of the way I ran my business, I made money and rarely had payment problems cos most people LISTEN to what their told.
    And besides, it's not upto the builder to offer a written quote, it's upto the customer to ask for one as you have to pay for an estimator to work it out acurately.

Jonno
    Well there you go. You did a cash job and as a consequence you got ripped off. If you were prepared to pay tax on it then you would have gotten the benefit of the full backing of the law.

That's where you went wrong.

Of course, I do know - better than most - that this is an idealistic way of looking at things but if ever I do a cash job for someone (), I make absolutely sure that there is no way in the world I'm going to get ripped off.

You failed to organise the job properly, sorry if it sounds harsh, but that's the way it is. People are gits.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast