Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Thread: Usb Adsl Modem Now,

Hmm the body of my post hasn't appeared,,, Here goes again. Using a router makes lower latency a cert.True or false? As the USB set-up means your processor handles all the network traffic processing, via USB. Wouldn't a pci adsl modem offer the same improvement, only cheaper?

2. ** REGISTER to REMOVE This Ad On The Site!! **
    Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
  3. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I always thought a actual hardware modem would be better than an internal winmodem. so a router or a external modem will actuall do all the cpu intensive work for you. this releaves the processor from all that hard work.

latency should not be a issue with any modem as long as its external or you have a modern cpu which is anything over about 300 mhz.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks,4Play. Just I read somewhere that a router is preferable to having an external modem.Your thoughts make more sense.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    routers are nice because they act as a hardware firewall while a external modem would not.

I would give the router options serious thought. As far as i know if you buy a usb modem there is no real way to plug it into a router at a latter stage.

netgear dg814 has a built in modem/switch/ router and is about 120 not bad considering you can plug in three more computers at any stage for no more then the cost of cat5 utp cable.