Thread: New Hard Drive for a BACK UP ????

Josh's Avatar QX9650 @ 4.02Ghz
    I think its about time i got another hard drive i have a 200GB maxtor right now as primary so gonna get a 200GB western digital for back ups. Could i just move everything to the other drive using a back up program and what program do you reccomend its in case the hard drive i got now fails. What program could do this would Nero Back Up or is there sumthing better to do it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Norton Ghost should be able to copy the entire hardrive (including the Boot Sector) onto another hardrive. That way, you could have the backup drive boot to windows in case your other one fails.

Set the jumpers correctly:
    Master: Only for the drive on the end of the IDE cable (the one with windows)

Slave: Only for the drive on the middle of the IDE cable (data)
    ^ really makes you wonder why they don't just remove em eh?
    (cable select seems much easier)
    Cable Select (newbs): only use the IDE cable to make your choice. The one on the very end is for windows, while the one in the middle is for an extra data storage.

;-) Jus in case you didn't know.
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 09-05-2005 at 04:29 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    make sure the jumper on the back up drive is set correctly. "Primary" means the disk that boots. "Slave" means a hardrive that stores extra data, whilst the o/s runs off another physical hardrive.
    Primary = O/S and Data , Secondary = Non-O/S..Data Only
    never have two primarys.

;-) Jus in case you didn't know.
    No it doesn't.

Master means it's on the end of the IDE cable, meaning that the controller card on that drive controls both of the ide drives. Slave means that it's the second one on that IDE cable, and controlled by the master.

Primary is one of the IDE cables, usually the first drive you hook up to your computer will be hard drive which will be the primary master.
    Secondary is the second IDE cable, usually used for optical drives and extra hard drives.

If the drive is setup as the second on a cable it must be set to slave or cable select (if both drives are set to that), and the drive on the end of the cable must be set to master or cable select.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I think I would rather have a dvd-r combined with Norton Ghost as my backup . If it was important I would rather have it external than on my hdd .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    fine fine, but it was pretty much correct anyways

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Well the back up hard drive i buy will be secondary i wont use it only for back up i looked at externam hard drives but i aint to sure if they any good i suppose if i back up once a week i plug it on and update i will downlaod norton ghost today is there a e-mule ed2k link n e where for it.

I notice on Nforce there was a REPACK where can i get this repack is there a ed2k link for the repack all i can find is the TDA orignal
    Last edited by Josh; 09-05-2005 at 06:30 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I found it on emule with a fix for the TDA file and got it installed so i got norton ghost 9.0 on my system, im gonna get a new primary hard drive and copy the 1 im using now to the new one using norton ghost. Once i copy hard drive to new 1 do i just remove old 1 and put new 1 onto primary. Im gonna get a encloser for my old 1 for a external drive and have it for norton ghost back up does this sound fine.

PS: Norton Ghost lets me only copy 1 thing but when it lets me choose to copy to sumthing i see a unallocated 7mb bit what is that and when i copy my old drive to a new will that be copied as well it does not give me option to copy that what is it.
    Last edited by Josh; 09-05-2005 at 06:28 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    @hardstyle_rave... Your writing skills make it impossible for me to read your posts.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Ok i will start agen and will concentrate.

I got hold of Norton Ghost v9.0 TDA but not the proper as could not find it. I found a fix for it on e-mule so used that. I put it in the PC and restarted to see if it bootable but windows loaded normal is that fine ????.
    Anyway Norton Ghost v9.0 installed fine and all ready. So my plan is this, im getting a external enclosure and a new 200gb hard drive. So i will have 2 x 200gb hard drives. 1 will be my old internal hard drive and a blank external new hard drive in its exclosure.
    Im going to use norton ghost to copy old to the new then swap the drives over so my old 1 is in the external exclosure and new 1 (with copied data on it) put inside pc. Then the old one just format it and keep back ups on it externally and the new drive will be in the pc.

That is fine isnt it. I know all about jumpers and that. Both drives set on primary as 1 is master is in the pc and since other is extermal that needs to be set master as well.

So this is all correct yes.

Reason i do not want 2 drives in pc becuase external drive is just for back up and not goin to be always plugged into pc only for back up purposes.

EDIT: forgot to add what is the 7MB unallocated space partition on my current drive ?????? i cant copy from it but can copy to it as a option in Norton Ghost i can include screenshots if needed,
    Last edited by Josh; 09-05-2005 at 07:00 PM.