Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ERROR Cyclic Redundancy Check

Poster
    Hey, its been a while since ive posted on fst
    but i have a problem when i try to copy a burnt movie i always get a Error
    Cyclic Redundancy Check
    i know that Cyclic Redundancy Check means that the data is damaged or there is a scratch on the dvd
    but the dvd arent scratched bc i jus burn the dvd and put it back in the comp and try to copy it and i always get the error Cyclic Redundancy Check
    i have burn'd the movie with Nero, DVDSanta,CopyToDVD,and some other programs and i still get that error

any help is appreciated

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Poster
    i used to get that message with perfect discs using dvdsanta - and then switched to DVDShrink and had no problems - so maybe try that?
    <span style='color:red'>&quot;a favour wil kill you faster than a bullet...........&quot;</span>

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    this may sound ridiculous, but the way I solved that problem was simple. Your drive can't read the disc because it was burned at a higher speed, and the read speed is too low. Bare with me here, this error happened to me on my older comp when I tried to install Vice City on it, it couldn't read disc number 2 during installation, after trying everything, I put the disc into my cd-rw drive (i had 2 drives, one cd-rw and one really old cd-rom drive). The installation worked because apparently the cd-rw's read speed was higher. And yes, it was the exact same error that you got.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    @cpt_azad are you sure it was not just the fact your cd-rw was a much better drive so it could actually deal with a few errors on the disc while your other drive was just crap. probably more to do with the quality rather then the speeds.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Poster
    its cant be the speed bc i burn all my movies at 2x and my dvdrw read speed is 8x

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Bad media?

Do you get the error while reading or burning?

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Bad media?

Do you get the error while reading or burning?
    i use Sonic DVD-R 8x and i burn the movies at 2x

no its perfect while burning and reading its also perfect in dvd players
    the problem is when i try to copy it
    Last edited by h121589; 09-06-2005 at 10:58 PM.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play
    @cpt_azad are you sure it was not just the fact your cd-rw was a much better drive so it could actually deal with a few errors on the disc while your other drive was just crap. probably more to do with the quality rather then the speeds.
    could be, but trust me. my cd-rw drive (back then) was a POS, it was actually broken too, when u pressed the eject button, the drive came out at an angle and it was crap at burning. But i suppose it could be one of many things.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P

Cool

A CRC is mathematic formulas used to ensure that your data is correct when being transfered. It's a checking/controlling procedure that quickly identifies when data has been damaged. If you get this message, it means that the file being read by your PC or software are corrupted. However, it does not mean all the data is totally lost. When data is transfered, it is in small blocks and each block is given a CRC value. If something goes wrong with the data between the time it leaves the DVD and arrives at its destination(memory/HDD), the CRC sent at the source will no longer match the one that is calculated when the data arrives - this is when the cyclic redundancy check error will appear.

Normally, when CD/DVD drives get a CRC message from a disc, they try to read the disc again - and therefore gives of a grinding sound. After several failed attempts, they give up and display the redundancy check error. The problem can be hardware (loose cables, failing drive), software or damaged media. In most cases checking and cleaning the disc is the easiest way to overcome the problem. If different clean discs produce the same error, it is likely to be a hardware issue (check the discs in another drive). Another common cause of these errors is poorly burnt CDs and DVDs - especially those that had numerous or severe buffer underuns. I would try to just clean the disc it is surprisingly often that a single fingerprint or some other dirt causes this error. I also think that you should make sure the IDE cable is connected properly!.

If all else fails:

Use a recovery tool to get back your data. CDCheck 3 will work for CD's and DVD's. First it will check the media, and then you have the option to recover the files. It's free for personal use.

Download here:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/cd-recovery.html
    Last edited by Joakim Agren; 09-07-2005 at 12:55 AM.

Sincerely Joakim Agren&#33;

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren
    A CRC is mathematic formulas used to ensure that your data is correct when being transfered. It's a checking/controlling procedure that quickly identifies when data has been damaged. If you get this message, it means that the file being read by your PC or software are corrupted. However, it does not mean all the data is totally lost. When data is transfered, it is in small blocks and each block is given a CRC value. If something goes wrong with the data between the time it leaves the DVD and arrives at its destination(memory/HDD), the CRC sent at the source will no longer match the one that is calculated when the data arrives - this is when the cyclic redundancy check error will appear.

Normally, when CD/DVD drives get a CRC message from a disc, they try to read the disc again - and therefore gives of a grinding sound. After several failed attempts, they give up and display the redundancy check error. The problem can be hardware (loose cables, failing drive), software or damaged media. In most cases checking and cleaning the disc is the easiest way to overcome the problem. If different clean discs produce the same error, it is likely to be a hardware issue (check the discs in another drive). Another common cause of these errors is poorly burnt CDs and DVDs - especially those that had numerous or severe buffer underuns. I would try to just clean the disc it is surprisingly often that a single fingerprint or some other dirt causes this error. I also think that you should make sure the IDE cable is connected properly!.

If all else fails:

Use a recovery tool to get back your data. CDCheck 3 will work for CD's and DVD's. First it will check the media, and then you have the option to recover the files. It's free for personal use.

Download here:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/cd-recovery.html
    i tried copying the disc one 3 diff comps and they all say CRC and it cant be fingerprints on the cd bc i only touch the disc once i take it out the spindle and put it in the dvd drive i close it and burn the movie and when its finish the dvd tray comes out and i push the dvd tray back in without touching the disc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast