Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: help with building a computer

ApacNTS's Avatar Helljumper
    im planning on building a new system(for the first time) basically this computer is well beyond it's time, i want to make a pc that can play the upcoming game F.E.A.R.

im looking between ebay and newegg for pieces, but im not sure where to start. i need to know a good motherboard, but one that's not really expensive.

basically i need a computer that would end up with specs of:

cpu: 2.8ghz-3.0ghz pentium 4
    ram: 512(1gb if cheap enough)
    mobo: ???
    vid card: 256mb (seen it on ebay for like 100)
    harddrive: cheap 20 gig will work (cheapest on newegg was 80 for a 40gb i think)
    dvdrw: pretty sure i'll get the $38 from newegg
    case: ???

i lean toward intel more, for the reason that they are currently cheaper than amd, even tho many say amd is pwning intel in raw power. likewise i have read where these chips generate alot of heat and i'm not sure if my case would be a "coffin" to my setup.

my budget, well it's laughable, but with ebay i may just skim it out in time for F.E.A.R launch

any help is much appreciated, i dont know much about building computers so i'm sure school will be fun :-p

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Well best to start with is your budget, how much are you willing to spend.

Also the mb on the graphics card isn't very important compared to the clock speeds.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    And you dont want to go with Intel for gaming, thats pure shite. You can build a nice AMD64 system for around 1500-1700 CAD

EDIT: And less
    Last edited by Smith; 09-07-2005 at 12:23 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by ApacNTS
    i need to know a good motherboard, but one that's not really expensive.
    ... i dont know much about building computers so i'm sure school will be fun :-p
    Lesson #1
    "Good motherboard" and "not really expensive" cannot be used in the same sentence.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    heh i feared as much about the motherboard. my budget is about 350 at best by the end of october. now i'll go crawl under a rock cause im an outcast *hides* amd is hella pricy, i dont know how you guys get all that uber sweet gear.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    heh i feared as much about the motherboard. my budget is about 350 at best by the end of october. now i'll go crawl under a rock cause im an outcast *hides* amd is hella pricy, i dont know how you guys get all that uber sweet gear.
    Why not get a AMD instead of a P4

My Blog
    I'm still here.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    well currently on newegg the price of an amd 2.4ghz processor is around *checks* 300 just for the chip with no heatsink or fan/compound. whereas a p4 3gig chip+hs/fan is 177.50.
    Last edited by ApacNTS; 09-07-2005 at 01:48 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    When I build my comps, first I take a look at whats coming on the market within the next year or two as far as games and see what requirements they have, and then I try to go past it to make sure I can enjoy the game to the fullest extent.

With that in mind I like to save myself some cash, and after some research and comparing some prices I come up with a number.
    Let's just say for shits and giggles I figured it out to be $1000 US, and this was a pretty good gaming system that would last me until my much anticipated *new* game came out and beyond.
    Hopefully, this system would last me until the next *new* game was out as well, about 2-3 years.

Ok, so you have your game in mind, you have your financial resources saved, now lets look at how you need to spend it all.

In building a system on a budget, theres going to be a little give and take, meaning your going to need to spend more in some areas and a little less in others.

Areas of importance, where you spend the most, are going to be your cpu, video card, ram, and motherboard. Basically in that order too.

Everywhere else, to a certain degree, you can cut corners with the costs.
    Things like cases, harddrives, cd/dvd drives, and monitors can carry over from build to build. Not always, but chances are usually good.

My philosophy on the game market is; look at the box's requirements, then the suggested, and then I will go past that as far as I possibly can, to save myself from building another computer too soon for that next game.

ApacNTS:
    From what I see you saying I can see a few things that raise my eyebrow a bit.

First thing, go with AMD. You will have better results in the long run, better performance, and in some cases cheaper costs.
    If you can manage to somehow raise enough cash and get yourself into something with a Winchester, Venice or even a San Diego core, not only will you have lower temps(they run on lower volts, 1.4v or less), but you will have a good cpu that will last you about 2-3 years.
    If you do go with AMD stick with the socket 939, its the way to go, ask anyone.

You can find some value ram for about $100 US for 1gb, anything lower then that(512mb) and you will lose performance for these new games coming out. Value ram isnt always the best, but when you're on a budget you get what you can.
    Its pretty important not to cut yourself short in this area, otherwise you can create yourself a bottle neck.

I don't know much about Intel and their mobos, but a good AMD mobo can be found for about $90-125 US. Try to catch a sale, or free shipping. A little patience here goes a long ways in saving an extra 10-15 bucks to put towards that case or new hard drive.

What you are getting off eBay is a little fishy in my eyes. Ebay tends to be refurbished units, or off brands that no one wants anyways. Sometimes you find good deals if you look hard enough.
    If it's used and came outta some rich boys comps that he's updating already, I guess that's ok. But otherwise I would just stick with Newegg.com or you local comp dealer.
    You say you found a 256mb for $100, what are the specs on it, is it new, and what brand? Remember eBay doesn't necessarily have a return policy as it varies buy seller, so if you get something used you are taking a bigger risk.

What harddrive are you buying thats costing $80 for 40gb? Usually you can find ata133 for about .50$ per gig on the high end drives (200-300gb) and $1 per gig on the lower drives (40-80gb). I would stick with a bigger drive if you want to get more bang for your buck here.

Finally, you mention a dvd drive you saw on Newegg.com. I think Newegg.com is a great site to buy from and I would recommend buying all your parts there after some price comparisons with other sites and stores.
    Just make sure you get yourself some name brand stuff, just so you don't have to go through the headache of RMA'ing you item. Newegg is good on service tho.

That's a pretty good rundown right there, maybe more information then you even wanted.

I would post names, specs, and models of everything you are planning on buying and see what other people have to say first about it before you make any decisions tho. Just to cover you butt.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    heh, oh you better believe i am, especially with my limited knowledge. best help comes from someone who knows good and bad. i also mistrust ebay, none of the processors had packaging except a few, just the bare chip.

the vid card i looked at was: http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-RADEON-9600X...QQcmdZViewItem (old sale but guy has some similar still)

i misstyped the bit about the drive, it was 80gb for about 51, reasonable, but ebay had it for like 20....heh trying to cut corners man.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    well currently on newegg the price of an amd 2.4ghz processor is around *checks* 300 just for the chip with no heatsink or fan/compound. whereas a p4 3gig chip+hs/fan is 177.50.
    The AMD processor you are talking about will blow that Intel out of the water man. They aren't even in the same league.

The AMD is a mobile processor, its 64 bit, and its got better L1 cache.
    This processor is more comparable to a 3.7 gig proc.

Edit: Take a look at this Comparable Amd Proc

Its even got a faster FSB, and its a Venice core(lower volts=lower temp).

You're not seeing AMD for what they offer, you are looking too much into the processors speeds and not what they can do. AMD runs on a different architecture and can achieve the results of an Intel but at slower speeds. That doesn't make them slower chips.
    Don't get me wrong, Intel makes a very good chip. Just compare then correctly and you will see that AMD can be cheaper, and in this area you are talking about, they are cheaper.
    Last edited by JunkBarMan; 09-07-2005 at 02:22 AM.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast