Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I built my first computer quick questions!!!

Ok I have succesfully built my first computer. Only prob I came across was the graphics card did not fit. But I fixed that by buying another card. It has 1024 mb ram, 6600gt Nvidia card. 6 fans. No o/s. AMD chip. My computer hp computer that I am using now that I bought at a regular store had windows xp already installed but It came with a dvd cd back up cd. If I were to put that dvd back up cd into the cd/dvd rom of my built computer will it install it? I just want to test it to see if it works and then clear the built computers hardrive of xp.
    Last edited by imasoldier; 09-10-2005 at 04:26 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by imasoldier
    Ok I have succesfully built my first computer. Only prob I came across was the graphics card did not fit. But I fixed that by buying another card. It has 1024 mb ram, 6600gt Nvidia card. 6 fans. No o/s. AMD chip. My computer hp computer that I am using now that I bought at a regular store had windows xp already installed but It came with a dvd cd back up cd. If I were to put that dvd back up cd into the cd/dvd rom of my built computer will it install it? I just want to test it to see if it works and then clear the built computers hardrive of xp.
    Probably not.
    I should think that HP bundled their (no longer applicable) drivers in that OS, but what the 'ell, you have nothing to lose but time so why not try?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    I would think you would need "to aquire" a os from somewhere,the backup cds aren't usually the full program(i think),as Clocker says you having nothing to lose by trying it though

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    You bought another graphics card?

How come you didn't simply cut off the bits that didn't fit?

It's a common practice, I'm told.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx

How come you didn't simply cut off the bits that didn't fit?

It's a common practice, I'm told.
    Oh. lots of people brag about that but very few have the nerve to do it.

Circumcised video cards are more hygenic and experience heightened sexual response...Sprocket just loves hers.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Im not stupid I saw that thread about some idiot cutting his 500$ card. But yet I bought a new card because it was pci and the board only support vga cards. If I download windows xp (p2p) would I be able to whipe it off my new computer once im done? I just want to test it.
    Systems Specs
    -----------------------------------
    O/S: Windows Xp Service Pack 2
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4
    Speed: 2.6 ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 6800 128MB DDR SDRAM
    Ram: 1Gig of ram
    Comp Model: Hp Pavilion a250n

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by imasoldier
    If I download windows xp (p2p) would I be able to whipe it off my new computer once im done? I just want to test it.
    Yes, you could.
    In fact, many of the XP variants you will find on P2P networks will wipe your HDD for you.
    Last edited by clocker; 09-10-2005 at 06:19 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    How do I clear the whole drive once im done? I just want it to boot in the bios after im done clearing xp.
    Systems Specs
    O/S: Windows Xp Service Pack 2
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4
    Speed: 2.6 ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 6800 128MB DDR SDRAM
    Ram: 1Gig of ram
    Comp Model: Hp Pavilion a250n

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Simply reboot to the install CD and delete the partition on the drive.
    Exit when finished.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Your an idiot. Did you fail to even check what slots the mobo you were buying had and were forced to spend more money

Ofcourse you could wipe XP off, you can wipe anything off with a format. Do you think that once a file is on your computer it never really goes, but when you empty your recycle bin it just hides itself

To wipe it just format your HDD, use the XP disc again, or Kill Disc or Partion Magic or just use good old DOS, theres loads of ways. If you don't know how to format a computer, and waste extra money because you can't be assed to see what kinda slots your mobo is, how can you be sure this 'computer' is even going to work?

Also you should be able to get into the BIOS before your install Windows, so why you need to install Windows to access your BIOS is beyond me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast