Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are the hypocrites here

Poster
    I am aware of the differences in the two issues. I am aware this is your Foreign Office. Let's just say those differences don't seem to matter much right now. Not when the word hypocrite has been thrown about this drawing room.

Let me see if I can do this the way it is done by the majority in this drawing room. It goes against my grain, but I will put forth my best effort.

HOW DARE your government not get help to these people immediately?
    Has this woman been discriminated against because she was Swedish? (Is it not irresponsible for the Swedish in Briton to not produce a rap song about your leader not caring for the Swedish people?)

Slow to evacuate Britons and repeatedly failing to answer pleas of assistance from them?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 100K away?

Yes, many things could have been done better in America's emergency response to Hurricane Katrina. I, as an American, are aware of that. I am also aware you don't have a disaster of this magnitute and expect perfection from anyone.

And since I expect (quite frankly, I base this expectation on experience in this drawing room) many to say that my pointing out your government's failing your people does not make our government's actions right...keep in mind that the use of the word 'hypocrite' blew that line of reason all to hell.

Foreign Office failed tsunami victims

Gaby Hinsliff and Mark Townsend
    Sunday September 11, 2005
    The Observer

The Foreign Office was accused last night of failing Britons abroad as details of its treatment of victims of the Asian tsunami were laid bare by The Observer.
    Families who survived the tidal wave accused officials of a catalogue of errors - among them being slow to evacuate Britons and repeatedly failing to answer pleas for assistance - raising questions over the service to UK citizens abroad.

The Foreign Office said it had 'apologised unreservedly' to one survivor, Michael Holland, son-in-law of the film director Lord Attenborough, whose wife, mother and daughter died in the Boxing Day disaster last year.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It has also admitted failing to give proper help to Kate Rage, a widowed British mother. She was turned away when she asked officials for help, because her husband was Swedish and the three children had Swedish passports.
    Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, faces a parliamentary grilling next month over the care given to survivors and the future of consular services, supposedly the first port of call for Britons in trouble abroad.

Politicians said the scandal raised serious questions about the resilience of embassy services in the event of another disaster. British families caught up in Hurricane Katrina also say UK officials did nothing to help them in the key first hours of the New Orleans floods.

'The government said the Bali bombings had been a wake-up call for consular officials, yet the tsunami caught them napping. According to those caught up in Hurricane Katrina, they remain fast asleep,' said Liam Fox, the shadow foreign secretary.

The families interviewed by The Observer had all been staying in Khao Lak, which bore the brunt of deaths; the British consular team based themselves more than 100km away in the resort of Phuket.Read the whole 'bloody'' story here.
    Last edited by Everose; 09-11-2005 at 12:01 PM.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    I'd say you and J2 for starters

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Is it not the responsibility of the hosting country to ensure the safety and well being of it's guests?

Any outside help is just that.....help.

Jonno

4. Lounge   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    And since I expect (quite frankly, I base this expectation on experience in this drawing room) many to say that my pointing out your government's failing your people does not make our government's actions right...keep in mind that the use of the word 'hypocrite' blew that line of reason all to hell.
    Did it really? The only time I saw it used was when lynx accused j2 of being a hypocrite if he didn't condemn the man at the top in this case - as he did previously with Kofi Annan of the UN.

I don't see how j2 being a hypocrite (or not) is relevant to this. Unless he is George Bush (Which is actually not that unlikely )

===

In the case you present, it seems clear that the UK Foreign Office did not perform their duty to the fullest extent, it also looks as if they have apologised, at least in part, for this. In addition, Jack Straw will be made accountable by Parliament.

Mistakes look to have been made, the persons responsible for these mistakes have been held accountable or are going to be held accountable. Hopefully lessons will be learned.

Apart from the errors in the first place, everything is as it should be.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    Is it not the responsibility of the hosting country to ensure the safety and well being of it's guests?

Any outside help is just that.....help.

Jonno
    It's the responsibility of your home government's consulate to protect you when you're abroad. That's why if anything happens (lost passport, arrested, mugged) when you're on vacation, the first place you call is your embassy.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    whypikonme's Avatar Unemployable
    If you read the information given out by the British and Australian governments when you travel overseas, it makes it quite clear you are on your own, and that they expect the host country to look after you.

One Australian family moaned loud and often that the Australian government should have sent a helicopter into New Orleans to evacuate their family member! Not a word about the fact this person stayed there, ignoring the order to evacuate.

People like you, Everose, seem to believe that the US government can do what they fucking want, anywhere in the world, and everyone who isn't American should shut the fuck up and mind their own business.

Who are the hypocrites here? Well you for a start.
    Sig Removed...too clever

7. Lounge   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by whypikonme
    People like you, Everose, seem to believe that the US government can do what they fucking want, anywhere in the world, and everyone who isn't American should shut the fuck up and mind their own business.

That's a bit uncalled for.

I don't think I've ever seen Everose make a statement which suggests anything like that.

Maybe you could search for a few and post the links so I can see which particular post she made prompted you to make this scathing criticism.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by whypikonme
    If you read the information given out by the British and Australian governments when you travel overseas, it makes it quite clear you are on your own, and that they expect the host country to look after you.

Funny you mention this. I think it was in this article that I read where it was the Australian airline worker that overheard the tsunami victim's plight and provided the needed help. I was impressed, and grateful

One Australian family moaned loud and often that the Australian government should have sent a helicopter into New Orleans to evacuate their family member! Not a word about the fact this person stayed there, ignoring the order to evacuate.

Amazing, isn't it?

You are so wrong. So wrong. But that is okay. You know me not.

I beg to differ.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    I'd say you and J2 for starters
    J2 and I for starters....what?

You know, DanB, I don't treat people like shit, destroy their posts or even pass judgment on them because of their politics.

I don't always agree with J2 politically. It is not in me to treat someone badly just because of politics or their government's actions. What is the difference between treating someone badly because of their politics than treating someone badly because of the color of their skin or the financial status?

Yes, I hold J2 in high esteem, as do others on this board. I admire the way that, unless extremely attacked personally, or extremely provoked........he is a kind man who is genuily interested in and cares about his fellow human beings, regardless of their political beliefs.

You have handed me a wonderful compliment, lumping my name with J2's.
    A tip of the hat to you.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Use of a tongue smilie usually indicates that the post is made in a joking way

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast