View Poll Results: Should a publicly funded school be allowed to not hire someone because

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 20.00%
  • no

12 80.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: discrimination.

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Should a publicly funded school be allowed to not hire someone because they are a Christian?
    Last edited by vidcc; 09-22-2005 at 08:29 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    unless they're a creationist science teacher with an agenda

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    unless they're a creationist science teacher with an agenda
    No agenda just Christian

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    you got a specific caes in mind or just hypothetical?

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    you got a specific caes in mind or just hypothetical?
    there is a bill working through the system at the moment (usa) where those head start schools paid for by government working under Bush's "faith based initiative" can refuse to hire someone who doesn't share the same faith as the administrators of that school.
    Head start schools are supposed to be for needy children to give them a "head start" into the education system. They are not religious schools but instead early starts to reading, writing etc. Bush allowed religious groups to run some schools.

We are not talking private "religious" schools but schools working in a government program and funded by the tax payer.

My point which I didn't want to raise too quickly was that if it is not ok to discriminate against a Christian why should it be against a non Christian.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Of course not.

Those institutions charged (by way of their multiple ties to government) not to favor any religion (even though for practical purposes this only means Christian...) should not be allowed to discriminate against religion, either.

The only grounds for disqualification should be incompetence or situational instability (a history of job-hopping), which is a special peeve of mine.

Given the operational approach of the NEA, the former is of significant concern.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #7
    They should not be disqualified. However, if they try to teach their religion then they should be separated.
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    well the bill passed the house yesterday by our republican lawmakers.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster
    I guess what floors me about this is I work in a public school system in what is a supposedly conservative christian area of the country, Vid. Never have I heard a teacher even asked about their religious beliefs or discuss them. And never has it been asked about in an interview even. I thought that was illegal. I have never had anyone even ask me about my religious beliefs and I don't ask anyone about theirs. Guess I better dig into this.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    I guess what floors me about this is I work in a public school system in what is a supposedly conservative christian area of the country, Vid. Never have I heard a teacher even asked about their religious beliefs or discuss them. And never has it been asked about in an interview even. I thought that was illegal. I have never had anyone even ask me about my religious beliefs and I don't ask anyone about theirs. Guess I better dig into this.
    that's what this bill plans to change. It was illegal.

Under this bill a head start school administered by the city cannot discriminated against a person of faith, yet one administered by a religious group can discriminate against a person of different or no faith. Remember, both are funded by the tax payer.
    Last edited by vidcc; 09-24-2005 at 12:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast