Thread: Monitor Refresh rates question

My computer works on 85 hertz refresh rate would it be good to have it on that? What are the good and bads of having it on that compared to default 60 hertz.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Yoga's Avatar \ ( ^ 0 ^ ) / BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    The refresh rate (or "vertical refresh rate", "vertical scan rate") is the maximum number of frames that can be displayed on a monitor (or television) in a second, expressed in hertz.

The scan rate is controlled by the vertical sync signal generated by the video controller, ordering the monitor to position the electron gun at the upper left corner of the raster, ready to paint another frame. It is limited by the monitor's maximum horizontal scan rate and the resolution, since higher resolution means more scan lines. Increasing the refresh rate decreases flickering, reducing eye strain.

Refresh rate has greater effects on CRT monitors, while flicker is less noticeable on LCD monitors, because LCD displays do not have a refresh per se (the image only needs updating if it is changed).
    [edit]

Computer displays

On smaller monitors (14") few people notice any change above 60-72 Hz. On larger monitors (17", 19") most people would experience mild discomfort unless the refresh is set to a more comfortable 85 Hz or higher. 100 Hz is comfortable for most people.

Different operating systems set the default refresh rate differently. Windows 95 and Windows 98 set the highest possible refresh rate. Windows NT and its descendant Windows 2000, however, by default set the refresh rate to the lowest supported, usually 60 Hz.

Old monitors could be damaged if a user set the video card to a higher refresh rate than supported by the monitor. Nowadays most monitors would simply display a notice that the video signal uses unsupported refresh rate.

From Wikipedia

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Ideally, your refresh rate should be different from your local supply voltage frequency, and preferably not a multiple either.

The reason is that lighting, in particlar fluorescent lighting, will operate at the local supply frequency and can therefore seem to cause interference with the display. The result can be banding and strobing. This may sometimes be very apparent, in less obvious cases the result can be headaches and eye strain.

It has often puzzled me why so may graphics cards have a default refresh rate at 60Hz, when the most common users are the US market where local supply voltage operates at 60Hz. Maybe the card manufacturers hate Americans.

Leave it at 85Hz.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx

It has often puzzled me why so may graphics cards have a default refresh rate at 60Hz, when the most common users are the US market where local supply voltage operates at 60Hz. Maybe the card manufacturers hate Americans.
    ATI is based in Canada, so naturally they would hate us.
    nVidia is based in California...they hate everybody who doesn't surf.

@imasoldier...
    If you lower your refresh rate then the terrorists have won.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    It has often puzzled me why so may graphics cards have a default refresh rate at 60Hz,
    That's because some old monitors cannot handle higher refresh rates. They make it default so the old junk still works.

Another theory is that it's to match the refresh rates of n00bs' brains.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    60Hz is almost becoming standard now-a-days... coz if u read it, RX850 form ati, would be only be able to support 60Hz refresh rates

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by tree_for
    60Hz is almost becoming standard now-a-days... coz if u read it, RX850 form ati, would be only be able to support 60Hz refresh rates
    What? Where did you get that information?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Couple of people in our office got new monitors because of the eye strain and head aches . Boss told me get rid of the old ones, okee dokee . Took them home and set the refresh rates to 85 nice monitors Viewsonic pro and a Samtron . Asked him if he wanted them back .

I showed him how to set all the others up ,everyone was set @ default 65 . It is a noob problem read the faq .
    Last edited by peat moss; 09-24-2005 at 12:11 PM.