Thread: No filesharing clients work at my college!! Help...

I dunno what they have going on here... firewalls or something crazy, but KaZaA, Limewire, Azureus, nothing will connect. Is there anything that works over asshole connections like this?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    markula's Avatar The Master Seeder! BT Rep: +2
    they have those ports blocked so no one can go there at your college!!

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    What is actually happening is normally dependent on how switched on your network guys are.
    First try non-standard ports for the clients. Most will let you do this. Use a HIGH port, something over 1024. If this doesn't work, and it likely doesn't, you'll need to start looking up ways to potentially tunnel stuff over port 80. Worth the time to read and understand yourself if it's needed, so I won't go into it here. Also resource intensive,a and breaks a lot of protocols, I'm unsure of the compatibility of file sharing protocols for this.
    You'll also need to be careful of scanning of the network for open ports (might be likely to find out filesharers) or simply bandwidth monitoring that will catch you out. Try talking to guys who do (or posting a tech support question about) network gaming, they might have similar problems but workarounds you can use in your case.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Guinness Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by abw1987
    I dunno what they have going on here... firewalls or something crazy, but KaZaA, Limewire, Azureus, nothing will connect. Is there anything that works over asshole connections like this?

It's more than likely a hardware or software firewall issue, the IT staff will almost certainly have configured the network not to allow such traffic.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    If what furryapplepie said doesnt work (using a high port or port 80), you can try using a proxy or tunneling.. Although free proxies are usually slow and sometimes set up to catch people and tunneling costs money..........

Or you can try DC++ and see if your college has a hub.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Yeah, you could look into socks proxying if your network supports this too.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    if outbound ssh (port 22) is allowed you can tunnel your p2p traffic through ssh, provided you have an account on a unix machine outside of the firewall. you can also connect to ssh via an http proxy (can be your colleges internal http proxy server) if port 22 outbound is not allowed.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    just forward your ports or give me the proxy server to the place and ill fix things myself