Thread: How to shutdown Norton AV 2005?

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    I'm updating my friends vid drivers (installed a new vid card for him), and I used to shut down my AV programs (don't have Norton myself, it's for a friends comp) before I ever updated (uninstalled old drivers first too). But I can't seem to shut down Norton Antivirus 2005? I can disable Auto-Protect, but I can't "shut" it down completely (in the lower right hand corner). There are lot of processes in Task Manager also that can't be shut down that's associated with Norton. So, should I go ahead and update the drivers anyway (is it safe? never tried it like that before...)? Or is there a way to shut down Norton? Thanks in advance for your post/help/suggestions guys I'm off to work, be back in 5 hours.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    It'll be fine

If you want to be pedantic, you could always disable the startup sequence so it doesn't load up but trust me, you'll be fine with just disabling auto-detect. Hell I normally update with mine running anyway

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Don't worry about it. The installation of the drivers are unaffected by Norton.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    ok thanks guys

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.