Thread: Outlook Corrupt Contact List

While importing a csv file for contacts into Outlook with about 1250 emails which is the largest Ive done and as usual was watching the names load when somewhere around 75% of the way all the contacts vanished. Outlook is now unable to create any contacts at all even when being done individually or manually.

I decided to then run some test trying to find out what happened. I started up VMWare running Win2KPro and got the same results creating some sort of permanent damage to Outlook and the contact list. I then ran Ghost so that I could test it again but this time split the file in two. When I ran the first all was fine although when I added the second set of contacts the same results occurred corrupting the contacts list in Outlook somehow.

Ive done a fair amount of testing now and it seems that while importing contacts into Outlook if the list goes beyond a certain amount which appears to be between 1000 and 1200 contacts it crashes clearing all contacts leaving an empty list and being unable to create any contacts at all even if being done individually or manually.

Im wondering now how to get the contact list working properly again without running Ghost and if theres a way to stop this from happening or a go around for the limitation...
    Last edited by RealitY; 10-02-2005 at 06:58 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    When I went to C:/Documents and Settings/User/Application Data/Microsoft/Address Book/User.wab and opened the file all the entries were there although thet dont show in Outlook. I cleared out all but two and the contacts were showing again. Now Im just wondering if theres a way to get around the limit...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Have you tried looking in the registry to see if the limit is in one of the keys?

I'd try out Thunderbird as an alternative if you have no joy. You should be able to export and import them no problem

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I havent cheecked the registry yet but when I access the wab file I can see all the contacts and can do anything I want with them that can be done in Outlook which is a go around for now. It just seems they dont show in Outlook oddly. I also noticed when I started trimming the list in the wab file they showed in Outlook again one I got it down to 1000 contacts although if one more than that is added they vanish in Outlook again...

EDIT: Seems the MOOL feature is the cause.
    MOOL has the same limitations as MSN and Hotmail accounts. This means you can not have more than 1000 contacts, recurring tasks are not supported at all, and some recurring appointment options are not supported.
    http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/mool.htm
    Last edited by RealitY; 10-02-2005 at 08:27 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i'd put money on it being a setting somewhere and I'd start looking in the registry to double check. You obviously still have your contacts so it's not a screw up. It's probably a limiter. In any case I'd check the registry. If you find nothing and want to stick with Outlook, Google the problem, there's bound to be a fix somewhere.

If all else fails, install Thunderbird

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Take a look at the edit above...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Hmm... interesting.

Well just be thankful that there are alternatives, and IMO better ones at that. The links in my sig buddy Sorry that you couldn't get a fix for it though!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    The reason I use Outlook is it does what I want so theres never been a need for me to switch although I may have to finally test out Thunderbird I guess. I also found a bit more info on this...
    http://support.plaxo.com/bin/answer....r=379&topic=83