Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help

Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    My mom brought a laptop from her job. It's old and runs on Windows NT. I don't have a username or password, so I can not get passed the logon prompt. What should I do?

Windows NT can not be booted in safe mode. I'm thinking a boot disk is my only option. How would I create a NT boot disk? I'm on Windows XP Professional SP1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    HERE is a good site for a bootdisk.

edit: you may have to open the case to get info. incase you need to download any drivers.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I made a boot disk using XP, but what can I do at the prompt? I don't have the NT cd or anything. I just need to get passed that logon somehow, if it's possible.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    Are you referring to the A: prompt?
    Is your xp cd bootable? Will the lappy boot to cd rom?
    If so, just boot with your xp cd; check to see if the hard drive is partitioned (if so I would recommend removing), format and install xp.

edit: HERE is a good site, it talks about upgrading from a 9x OS, but still has a good walk through installation.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I don't think the laptop will take XP. It's old, with only 48MB of RAM. I'm thinking D/L the Windows NT installtion CD from Kazaa and reinstalling. What do you think.

It looks like that's my only option if I can't bypass the logon. Damned NT and it's tough security.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Supernatural Posted on 15 April 2003 - 18:56
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I made a boot disk using XP, but what can I do at the prompt? I don't have the NT cd or anything. I just need to get passed that logon somehow, if it's possible. 
    Had the same problem the other day and it is possible to solve but you have to find the program,I tripped on it while looking for a win 2000 boot disc . It is a dos program that accesses the (sam profile) ,I think that was what its called .I downloaded straight of the net sorry I can,t be of more help but I have to go to work now ...I will try and look more in the morning..Just keep searching thru boot discs

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I have been searching all day. I think my only option is to reinstall windows.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    well I hope you never gave up yet this may be it http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/]try this[/URL] hope it works for you B)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Sorry balamm, but it's not that easy. Login is required, so pressing just pressing "OK" doesn't work.

And thanks to accat13 for the link. I'm gonna try it now, but I have to read it first. There are alot of stuff there and I want to get it write. Reinstalling an OS is never fun.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Supernatural Posted on 17 April 2003 - 07:16
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry balamm, but it's not that easy. Login is required, so pressing just pressing "OK" doesn't work.

And thanks to accat13 for the link. I'm gonna try it now, but I have to read it first. There are alot of stuff there and I want to get it write. Reinstalling an OS is never fun. 
    Keep us informed of your results ..I had to use the default password"*" to gain access"*" sets your password up as the"enter key"I had to try twice and I just set all passwords as * good luck...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast