Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we have private groups here?

twisterX's Avatar Poster
    were upgrading to 3.5. What kind of new things will we see.

Will we lose anything on the forum or big drastic changes. I know that from when i signed up my old first topics are still here. Its very cool.
    Last edited by twisterX; 10-06-2005 at 10:06 PM.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by twisterX
    were upgrading to 3.5. What kind of new things will we see.

Will we lose anything on the forum or big drastic changes. I know that from when i signed up my old first topics are still here. Its very cool.
    We wont lose anything...also i've been spending time ocnverting the skins we have now to vb3.5, and also made all of my mods work on vb3.5.
    The last thing I am waiting for before upgrading is the arcade for vb3.5 to be released, which should be next week.

The main new changes are from admin+mod point of view such as:
    plugin system: upgrade the board and dont lose a ny of your hacks/mods
    inline modding: moderators can delete threads as a group instead of individully, without viewing the thread. They can also delete groups ofposts at once from within the showthread page.

For users there are still some new things you'll notice:
    quickedit: your post can be edited without the page reloading thanks to 'ajax'. The edit post box will pop up within your post and u can save, to see the changes live. In the background they are being sent to the server.
    quickreply without reloading the page: quickreply can now post wihtout your page reloading. For the poster the post will just appear on the page, in the background the data is being sent to the server so other users can see your post.

The main reason i've been wanting to upgrade to vb3.5 is for that plugin system...means I can make as many mods as i want for this board without having to worry about future upgrades.

edit:
    [quote]
    The following is a rough summary of what has changed between vBulletin 3.0.x and 3.5.0
    [list][*]Product/Plugin system with over 550 'hook' locations strategically placed in the code. Allows modification and extension of vBulletin without physical alteration of the vBulletin PHP scripts.[*]Inline moderation allows multiple threads or posts to be have moderation actions performed without a visit to the admin or moderator control panels[*]Completely rewritten message editor with ability to instantly switch between standard and WYSIWYG modes[*]Thread title editing on forumdisplay via AJAX[*]Thread opening and closing on forumdisplay via AJAX[*]Super-Quick Reply on showthread via AJAX[*]Inline post edit on showthread via AJAX[*]Username suggestion for PM recipients and search by user via AJAX[*]Data manipulation APIs (Data Manager) for centralized data saving[*]Template History & Comparison for easy tracking of changes[*]Database-based thread and forum read marking[*]MySQL Full Text Search[*]Additional Datastore Storage Methods[*]SMTP Mail Wrapper[*]MySQLi Wrapper[*]PHPDoc'd Source Code[*]Moderator log language abstraction[*]Webkit support for style manager color picker[*]ImageMagick 6 Support (alternative to GD)[*]Calendar events support start/end times[*]Custom avatar and profile picture resizing[*]Profile pictures can be saved to filesystem[*]Statistics ordering[*]Each attachment image type can be individually set to generate thumbnails or not[*]Each attachment image type can be individually set to open in a new window or not[*]Moderated posts and threads do not contribute to post count until approved[*]Language chooser in footer[*]New bbcode parser now corrects invalid tag nesting to ensure valid HTML[*]New [attach] bbcode tag for placing attachments inline with messages[*]New [noparse] bbcode tag for disabling bbcode parsing within[*]Word wrap excludes contents of PHP/CODE/HTML blocks[*]Search engine spider configuration via XML file[*]New 'Can View Thread Content' permission[*]New 'Can Upload Animated GIF' permission[*]Attachment upload via URL in addition to local upload[*]New (hopefully foolproof) method for setting cookiepath/cookiedomain[*]Forum description field no longer limited to 250 characters[*]Completely rewritten Paid Subscriptions system - now known as Payment APIs. New support for 2checkout, Worldpay and Authorize.net[*]'Always Moderate Group Posts' permission replaced with more logical 'Follow Forum Moderation Rules' permission[*]Threads containing posts awaiting moderation have indicator icon on forumdisplay for moderators[*]Right-to-left language support improved[*]Additional 'Execute SQL' auto-queries added[*]Image verification for sendmessage to avoid spam issues[*]Improved registration image verification to out-fox those pesky bots[*]Control panel navigation controlled by XML for easier addition of links[*]Upgrade system now imports styles/languages/options only after upgrade complete rather than after each script[*]Ability to preview signature edits[*]Calendar event email reminders[*]And of course, numerous bugs and annoyances resolved.[/quote][/list]
    Last edited by tesco; 10-06-2005 at 10:15 PM.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #13
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    thats cool.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #14
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    nah i was just wondering if we have some becuase i always see that thing in peoples profiles
    I didn't even know what it was until a couple of months ago.

That spot in the user profile will be removed, or replaced with something else, after we upgrade to vb 3.5 (next week probably).
    You better give fair warning (like a date and time) so some people on here don't have a meltdown.
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-06-2005 at 10:57 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #15
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    how much time will the site be down.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #16
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Speaking of meltdown, be sure to back uo the database, just in case...

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    how much time will the site be down.
    Hopefully not long. Could be about 10-15 minutes if I dont have problems, but i'm sure I will.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #18
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    that quick. I was expecting like a day

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    that quick. I was expecting like a day
    No because the major changed are being done ahead of time, so basically all i have to do is upload the files and run the upgrade script, then install the new versions of the skins. Then te board can come back online and i can start adding the plugins.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #20
    Looking foward to the upgrade...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast