Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Draws E.U. Scrutiny

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    [news=http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3858/microsoftlogo0gi.gif]
    The European Union has asked Symantec for info following Redmond's move into security.
    October 7, 2005

The European Union has requested information from security software maker Symantec to determine whether Microsoft’s recently announced security products may violate any antitrust regulations, analysts said Friday.

Symantec, the maker of the popular Norton antivirus software, said Friday it has responded to the E.U.’s request for information but denied that the company had lodged a formal complaint with the E.U. The discussions with the E.U. were in response to its queries, said Symantec spokesperson Genevieve Haldeman.

“As we’ve said in the past, we will compete with Microsoft in the markets, not in the courts, as long as there is a level playing field,” she said.

This is not the first time Microsoft’s actions have raised eyebrows among E.U. officials. Last year, Microsoft incurred the E.U.’s wrath after bundling its Windows media player with the company’s operating systems, which the E.U. said stifled competition. Microsoft was fined $613 million, the highest ever in any European competition case.

Source: http://www.redherring.com/Article.as...ctor=Computing[/news]
    Last edited by tesco; 10-11-2005 at 01:25 AM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    Why do so many people have problems with this. I like WMP being with the os becuase that means i dont have to go out an download it if i didnt have an internet connection. Do people go sueing everything this company makes a move?

They could bundle anythign they want. Its their product. Should people tell Adobe to not put a smudge tool in their PS.

The antispyware and virus things is what i dont want bundeled. I dont want it becuase i rather get my own.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Its their past track record I guess but it is getting a little ridiculous . The EU. has higher standards ?

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    European???? They shouldn't even have a say becuase the company is US. Even thought windows is in europe (hell where isnt it) the company is US based

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    true_neo's Avatar The Dark Lord Revan
    Quote Originally Posted by twisterX
    The antispyware and virus things is what i dont want bundeled. I dont want it becuase i rather get my own.
    I agree, but I also recognise the fact that there are a few problems with this not being bundled.
    1) There are many computer users who somehow manage to attract viruses and spyware even before they complete Windows Update.
    2) There are many computer users who don't really know of antiviruses, and as such blame M$ for making a shite OS when it is infact their own computer that is so filled with bullshite and crap that it reduced their computer to a P1.

I would not mind such an AV to be bundled, provided you could either completely disable it or completely uninstall it, should you choose to use your own.
    When I say completely, I mean I dont want any folders, dll files or un-disableable services remaining.
    But, knowing M$, this is about as likely to happen as me becoming a rocket scientist.
    Sage goes in the signature field.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Why do so many people have problems with this. I like WMP being with the os becuase that means i dont have to go out an download it if i didnt have an internet connection. Do people go sueing everything this company makes a move?

They could bundle anythign they want. Its their product. Should people tell Adobe to not put a smudge tool in their PS.

That is exactly why they were fined. People should be able to have the choice whether to have a media player bundled or not. Same goes for AS & AV.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    European???? They shouldn't even have a say becuase the company is US. Even thought windows is in europe (hell where isnt it) the company is US based
    Europe has a say because the products are sold in Europe. It works just the same for European companies selling in the US. Of course, Microsoft can just decide to ignore EU rules. All it has to do is stop selling its products.
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Its their past track record I guess but it is getting a little ridiculous .
    Will you still say the same when you can't access the internet because Windows Firewall can't detect a valid product key, and because it is so tightly integrated to the OS that you can't disable it?
    The EU. has higher standards ?
    Just standards. The difference is that they intend to enforce them if the investigation shows it to be necessary. The US has very similar laws, why aren't they investigating? Oh, I forgot, Microsoft are massive contributors to GOP.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    I was referring to the XP lite that nobody bought in Europe I should of made that clearer . I still remember upgrading to win 95 and being stuck with EI as my default browser , so good point lynx .

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    I was referring to the XP lite that nobody bought in Europe I should of made that clearer . I still remember upgrading to win 95 and being stuck with EI as my default browser , so good point lynx .
    Interesting that the WMP was bundled with Windows since 95 and the EU brings up antitrust charges after the US did.

Interesting that no one buys the so-called XP Lite yet having it on the market was "help the competition and thus the consumer".

Interesting that the US and the EU are drawing lines at what an OS is when others cry about it. Consumers seem to like stuff being included. Let competition shake itself out.

It seems the EU has scrutiny when a company has most of market and then....M$ comes into that market.

Norton Antivirus and Netscape Navigator come to mind.

Also Windows Media Player well......I really know who M$ encroached on with that one. That was probably the first player I knew about besides Real.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    After reading again I thought of this program called Nlite . Mind you hav't tryed myself
    but ..........

http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast