Thread: Watch the First 9 Minutes of Serenity

As reported on FireflyFans.net, Universal is attempting further promotion of the sci-fi action film Serenity by making the first 9 minutes of the movie available online. The clip contains the opening backstory that sets an Alliance assassin on the trail of the ship's crew; it's an effective hook. On Yahoo movies, Serenity is ranked as the number 1 film currently in theaters and is hanging in a top-ten spot in the highest rated movies of all time. Slashdot has previously covered Orson Scott Card's review, the film's opening, an interview with Joss Whedon, and much more. It's all out of love...
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/07/214240
    http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_S...web/index.html
    Last edited by RealitY; 10-08-2005 at 06:46 AM.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    looks like another bush administration metaphor. anyway, i wasn't bothered about this before but now it's on the DL

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I went to the cinema (for the first time in two years ) to see this last night.

It was absolutely brilliant. I was a fan of Firefly anyway but I didn't expect the film to be this good. I was worried that orienting people who hadn't watched the series was going to be boring but it was interwoven into the script so well that I hardly noticed.

The hopelessness of their situation was portrayed with such aplomb that I couldn't help but feel empathy with all of the charatcters, even the ones that were a bit annoying in the series (Wash and Kaylee). Despite the film's darkness, the humour was the most prevelent aspect throughout the film.

I laughed all the way through - except toward the end. The climax wasn't telegraphed in any way and completely gripped me. When it was over, it seemed as if I'd been watching for about an hour, I was surprised when I found it had lasted for almost two.

The new bad guy is really fucking bad and darkly funny. The two strongest characters from the series, Mal and Jayne, do not disappoint in any way - the one-liners come thick and fast plus there are a terrific amount of well choreographed fight scenes which often involve the unstable psychic, River. I suppose it is difficult to make the audience believe that a 5'2" delicate looking hawt teenage girl can kick untold amount of arse - but I was in awe.

Certainly the best film of the year - and with it topping the charts in America (I didn't expect that), it may mean a film sequel at least. Tho' it would be nice to get a new TV series commissioned - I'm sure the Joss Whedon and the cast would be up for it.
    Last edited by manker; 10-08-2005 at 11:58 AM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Certainly the best film of the year - and with it topping the charts in America (I didn't expect that), it may mean a film sequel at least. Tho' it would be nice to get a new TV series commissioned - I'm sure the Joss Whedon and the cast would be up for it.
    It would be nice for it to go the Star Trek route of movies but with the series ongoing. Either way, expect a sequel.

I'm not surprised it did well in America. There isn't much competition right now and it's good movie.
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-08-2005 at 03:34 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    It would be nice for it to go the Star Trek route of movies but with the series ongoing. Either way, expect a sequel.

I'm not surprised it did well in America. There isn't much competition right now and it's good movie.
    I guess I didn't look at it like that - there really aren't that many good films out at the minute.

I've noticed on other boards that there is talk about a new series, nowt official tho',

I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Serenity=Shiny

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I completely agree with you manker, this was a gem of a movie. The story of the show fit perfectly into a movie and seemed like it was over in a flash.

I'm just hoping that Sci-Fi gets off their ass and picks the show back up where FOX left off for another season before the next movie...