Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you had a magic wand...

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

Government can be made efficient vid, by lopping off great flipping chunks of it that serve no purpose.
    . I propose a focused effective and efficient change. This means cutting red tape and sometimes ridding pointless agencies. It's what we decide serves a purpose that is the difference between us. Just because the present agency in reality is ineffective or bogged down in Bureaucracy doesn't mean that it has to be.

All governments in the real world need to be made efficient.

I agree with open markets and supply side economics but not as an absolute, because I also believe strongly that there needs to be a balance with consumer protections. Market forces don't always achieve this, nor does big government. Efficient, effective government can...which is where the wand comes in.

Of course there should be minimum regulation. Defining what the minimum should be is the trick.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I propose a focused effective and efficient change.

Politicians do this all the time; I cannot ever recall it working...can you?

This means cutting red tape and sometimes ridding pointless agencies.

Do you have the slightest idea how many "agencies" there actually are? Red tape is the nature of all bureaucracies, and I am not aware of any agency that is as critical as it would have you believe, and that includes the armed services. Have you ever been to the Pentagon? That building ought to be able to house our entire government by itself.

It's what we decide serves a purpose that is the difference between us. Just because the present agency in reality is ineffective or bogged down in Bureaucracy doesn't mean that it has to be.

Of course they don't have to be, but that is the nature of the beast.

All governments in the real world need to be made efficient.

As opposed to the one in our fake world?

Why would we waste time on that?

I'm totally serious about everything I've proposed here, vid.

I agree with open markets and supply side economics but not as an absolute, because I also believe strongly that there needs to be a balance with consumer protections. Market forces don't always achieve this, nor does big government. Efficient, effective government can...which is where the wand comes in.

Market forces can't achieve consumer protections?

They worked fine until we undermined them way back when; no reason they wouldn't work now.

Of course there should be minimum regulation. Defining what the minimum should be is the trick.
    No tricks necessary-re-start at zero and go from there.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    First thing I'd change is give every eligible US citizen $100 to vote in a general (every 4yrs) election.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    FFS Kev.

You offer a MAGIC WAND.

I shall repeat MAGIC WAND with which to change government.... A FANTASY SITUATION. Then when I attempt to with what I would like in an ideal you say that's not how political life works.

I give up as this wand has no magic.
    Last edited by vidcc; 10-16-2005 at 02:16 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready

They worked fine until we undermined them way back when; no reason they wouldn't work now.

They did?
    How to explain cocaine being sold as a general panacea, lead based paint, flammable pajamas....the list goes on?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    FFS Kev.

You offer a MAGIC WAND.

I shall repeat MAGIC WAND with which to change government.... A FANTASY SITUATION. Then when I attempt to with what I would like in an ideal you say that's not how political life works.

Took the words outta my mouth.

Kev will send the email or website link he read then you'll agree to make the thread go smoother (less rebuttals from Kev).

The multiple answers are

1. Let folks dick you around.
    2. Survival of the fittest.
    3. Who's on top stays on top.
    4. I got mine, get yours.
    5. Back door deals are fair (it's a wide open market).
    6. Collusion is ok.
    7. There is no corruption.
    8. Some people died from this new food or drug....aww damn....that shit doesn't work.
    9. Get enough of us on the same page and we can fuck rights into lefts.
    10. You are wrong. Your answer didn't quite fit mine.
    11. I'll sue....but can't win enough to hurt your business. However word'll get out and that's the clincher and stuff. Yeah uh huh..there ya go..GOTCHA!!!
    12. I'm the state of Texas and I'm bigger than some European countries....hmmm...fuck it I'm the country of Texas. All youz otha beeeotchs fuck off!!
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I don't know enough about the mechanics of US Government to suggest individual changes to operational procedures but...

as it is a magic wand, how about a spell to make all the politicians and officials compulsive truth tellers. Might not improve anything (might make some things worse) but it could be quiet interesting.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    First thing I'd change is give every eligible US citizen $100 to vote in a general (every 4yrs) election.
    Why?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    FFS Kev.

You offer a MAGIC WAND.

Quite right, I shouldn't be countering your wand-waving, as it wasn't part of my formulation.

Apologies, and please continue...

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker

They did?
    How to explain cocaine being sold as a general panacea, lead based paint, flammable pajamas....the list goes on?
    Competition would have revealed these flaws.

As another aside, do you know how many children died from ingestion of lead-based paint or flaming PJs?

Cocaine would have gone by the wayside as a "wellness" remedy as well.

It is the special talent of the human mind to seek alternatives, and time has definitely weighed against cure-alls as pish and posh.

As vid has pointed out, I have marginalized your wands, and shall stop immediately.

Wave on!

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast