Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had a magic wand...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ...what would you change about the United States government?

One thing at a time, please; let's keep this orderly...

The first thing I would do would be to return to an original understanding of the Constitutional structure of the three branches of government with all checks, balances and limitations intact; this would include part-time legislature, and state's rights would reign supreme.

This does not mean that I would resurrect the odium of slavery, or remove rights which have been properly extended to women and racial minorities, among other things I'm sure you will try to hook me with over my inadvertant omission here.

Next?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    state's rights would reign supreme.
    I wonder if Roberts, Thomas and Scalia will take this stance on the doctor assisted suicide case being considered. A simplistic stance would mean they have to if Roe is to be overturned.

My mystical spell. (one at a time )

The pledge of allegiance returns to the original words.
    Last edited by vidcc; 10-15-2005 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spell check

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh

The first thing I would do would be to return to an original understanding of the Constitutional structure of the three branches of government with all checks, balances and limitations intact; this would include part-time legislature, and state's rights would reign supreme.

This does not mean that I would resurrect the odium of slavery, or remove rights which have been properly extended to women and racial minorities, among other things I'm sure you will try to hook me with over my inadvertant omission here.

Next?
    States rights reigning supreme? Sounds like a liberal to me. Dont worry, I agree with you, however US goverment teeters between the two sides of Liberal/Democrat(State) and Conservative/Republican(Federal). So what you are saying is that you just wish the government was just more liberal? That doesnt sound like a very different change then having a Liberal president and Liberal members in the branches of government.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    the head

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    We would get value for money on everything. Government contracts would no longer be a gravy train of overcharging.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by orcutt989

Next?
    States rights reigning supreme? Sounds like a liberal to me. Dont worry, I agree with you, however US goverment teeters between the two sides of Liberal/Democrat(State) and Conservative/Republican(Federal). So what you are saying is that you just wish the government was just more liberal? That doesnt sound like a very different change then having a Liberal president and Liberal members in the branches of government.
    I think I disagree with your current assessment of the State/Federal equation, but never mind that.

I think, very basically, that the removal from the states' milieu (going back to the Civil War and Lincoln's anti-secession maneuvering) of the ability/right of self-determination as established in our Constitution is the basis of citizen/voter apathy and feelings of helplessness in the face of big government that is so all-pervading today.

It has nothing at all inherently to do with either liberalism or conservatism-it is, rather, the appropriate source of empowerment for individuals and the best way to keep people engaged in matters concerning their country.

I don't think the Founders believed the citizenry ought to suffer the misapprehension of thinking the "health" of their government was not for their constant consideration.

At the time of the founding, Ben Franklin was asked by an onlooker, "What sort of government have you given us, sir?"

"A Republic", he replied, "if you can keep it.

He knew the Republic would suffer without the proper stewardship of the people.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    We would get value for money on everything. Government contracts would no longer be a gravy train of overcharging. Government will also balance the books.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    We would get value for money on everything. Government contracts would no longer be a gravy train of overcharging. Government will also balance the books.
    We heard you the first time.

And balance the books, yes...

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    The next thing I would do would be to establish that the government adopt a stance of support for a free-market economy, starting with a hands-off approach and absolutely minimal regulation.

Competition would do the rest:

Manufacture safe, effective products that the public needs/desires at affordable prices.

None of these territorial entitlements, price supports/subsidies, tariffs, or any other such nonsense.

Wide...open...markets.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    We heard you the first time.

And balance the books, yes...

I didn't think I had actually posted the first time, I started the post but was called away by my daughter to deal with a spider emergency.

Ok. next one:-

The FDA will make decisions strictly on medical grounds when it comes to drugs.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast